Sunday 15 September 2013

Concert Day



A nervous early departure for town so I won't be late for my inaugural Glamaphones Concert at St Andrew's on The Terrace. But first a quick visit to the quayside markets for fresh fruit and then to Tinakori Street to see if I can get my new watercolour framed and pick it up to-morrow. As luck would have it, the artist is there signing his work, Sir Michael Fowler, of some fame or infamy, and a long time mayor of Wellington and a foremost architect, obviously  former big-wig. The big Arts centre next to Te Papa is named after him. The watercolour I chose yesterday, very quickly, was of a market scene in Fiji, and a very appealing  one. The artist writes a note on the back as provenance, and I say I'll pick it up framed, tomorrow. All in order and another hour before we arrive at two thirty for a four o'clock start. After the concert I have, of course, my ballroom dancing, which also has its AGM tonight. 

So much to do but the sun is shining and I am in Red Dog Cafe on the wharf, with the towering Navy frigate HMSNZ berthed nearby. I order a soup of the day and settle to prepare for the concert.  The very hot pumpkin soup arrives with two handsome slices of natural crusty toast, just what I need to sustain me, but not too big.

The concert went very well with a near full house. Jean, the conductor, seemed quite happy with our singing. Afternoon tea, or drinks, was also packed out. Each chorister was asked to bring a bottle of wine, so naturally there was much imbibing. I played barman for much of the time as I knew no-one there.
Then on to the dance night which, as always, was good exercise and great fun. I declined an invitation to replace the outgoing President at the AGM which was a good decision I feel, lol!
Home, tired, to sleep a well earned  eight hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment