Wednesday 4 September 2013

My new class

Wow! They really know how to teach Maori language inWellington.

I went on Tuesday night to my first class, their fifth, and joined in seamlessly. However there may be red tape I can't bypass which could prevent my coming in so late. Kerry, the main teacher, was enthusiastic however. The class was run fabulously, with lots of singing, movement and laughing. I really want to join this class. There is a whole new culture awaiting me if I can speak their language. and such a rich indigenous culture which in Australia was as denied to me with our awful racist politics still in effect, literally if not theoretically. it was a very exciting class and I know I can make some friends there. already the is Rachel who sings Piaf songs at the Bayside Hotel on Fridays.
So I am very hopeful that my Maori experience will really take off with this thirty week class.

But now to the weather...Wellington is windy, as we all know but last it was more than windy, it was gale force winds and I was forced to abandon my scooter a few hundred metres from my home as the Southerly was so strong I feared being blowing into Cook strait. I rapidly dismounted it on Evans Bay Pde after coming home at ten p.m. after my Scottish Dance class, and positioned it behind a big car to protect it from the icy blasts. Early this morning at seven I rushed to find it still there and I parked it in sheltered place down in Oriental Pde away from the direct wind. Wellington weather has to be respected and I am slowly but surely learning that important fact.



No comments:

Post a Comment