Saturday 7 September 2013

Saturday brekkie on Cuba and the Oz elections

 It's a beautiful day in Wellington, a far cry from the past few gale-ridden days, and I am out to enjoy Cuba St. It's always a buzz and Caffe Scopa has seduced me today. Always great coffee and atmosphere. And I am away from the doom that is the impending Labor defeat in my home country, one reason I left it!  

On the home front A's son Dan and his friend Scott,  came by to deliver the much-awaited TV and vacuum cleaner from their flat. And I jumped on my bike to get into town, also to catch perhaps two home grown Kiwi movies at the Film archives in Ghuznee St, just down the road from Scopa. The kiwis indeed are some of the most intrepid and courageous people on this planet. The new movie about Edmund Hillary's conquest of Everest which is debuting at the Toronto film festival typifies the Kiwi can-do attitude. They are perhaps not as laid back as the Aussies, but in the category of facing the odds, they are unbeatable. I don't think I will ever become a real kiwi, but then, I am not here to become one. I booked my return flight from Auckland today, for the treatments Seminar. It was a cheapie, so am really onto the kiwi attitude, 'just do it'! A's friend Jen is coming for the night and we may share a glass listening to the Oz debacle unfold, and the probable new OZ PM just happens to be married to a kiwi girl, of course. So it was she who gave him the opportunity to do what he does, and also three gorgeous daughters. This quaint fact is not lost on the kiwis.





I am now in the Film Archives, a real gem in the Wellington crown of cinematic arts. They show much home grown product, and have a lot  of history available for the film buff. I am nicely served by a very Irish sounding attendant who dares no ask if I wish the Senior's discount. I always forget ask for it, but next time I will, as it adds up to a solid reduction if you attend many movies as I do. Again I order my favourite kiwi hot drink, lemon honey and ginger tea, and quietly take it in to see 'The Pictures'.

No comments:

Post a Comment