Monday 17 February 2014

At Work and Art Gallery Opening

Monday was another ( half) day at work which I am quite enjoying with my colleague Lesley who is relaxed and efficient. The plans are slowly getting together for the Memorial at Te Papa.

As well last night I went to an opening of a photographic exhibition at Thistle Hall, one created and curated by a new friend who has just returned from UK. His exhibition rather clumsily entitled Histories, Habitats, Mishaps and Harmony at the Regents Canal in London, was an interesting one. Although done in a bit of a rush, people arrived in quantity and were met by some lovely finger food provided by Fidel's and the obligatory red and white wine fare. The photographs were mostly unframed, hence quite reasonably priced, although in discrete English fashion, no mention at all was made of pricing.

It was a social occasion like all openings with  many professional first-nighters and those who were just curious in Cuba Street. S, the photographer, is a native Wellingtonian so he knows the Art scene here well, and what goes down and what doesn't. All in all it was a success I believe and won't do his career any harm. I feel that eventually he has ambitions in Academia so it was not a commercial exercise at all.

For me it was another experience where I met some more people, but memories of my past job managing a Gallery in Gosford were not that welcome. It is a very artificial milieu and one that I have certainly had enough of.
At work at BP with Lesley

No comments:

Post a Comment