Sunday 16 June 2013

Courtenay Place

My first venture into the city of Wellington, and I am greeted with typical Wellington welcome, ie, I am caught in a downpour and am offered a lift into town by a local, called Peter.

It looked quite fine this morning, although steely grey skies met me as I opened my holland blinds in my north facing bedroom. It  was already eight o'clock and I had had at least eight hours sleep. I  heard a tiny miauw at my door and let in my NBF, Pippy. She snuggled up to me in bed and I managed to take a few photos of her. I patted her and as predicted by Emma, she dribbled all over me ...such is life with a drooling cat! It was just too nice in bed to get out so I dreamed on for an hour and didn't emerge till nine-thirty by which time Emma was up and ready to go to her yoga class, full of energy, a good start to the day. I told her I'd cook a meal some time soon but not sure when as my schedule was fast filling up. 

'No worries, it's leftovers tonight anyway', she smiled and I felt quite at home. I decided then to bake my famous whole orange almond cake for Wednesday when I am going out for my birthday, she may even come with us, who knows? So after some muesli and banana and a strong brewed coffee I picked up my umbrella to leave, thinking I would walk all the way to the harbour and look at the sights.

 Well soon into my walk the heavens opened and the rain poured down so I took refuge in a sheltered driveway opposite. Waiting there, looking at the torrents sheeting down, a small rather battered van appeared next to me waiting to drive out into the rain. I noticed its number plate, BONVIN, good wine, and wondered about the driver, a wizened up little guy about my age behind the driver's wheel. I looked at him directly and he wound down the passenger window and we spoke. 'Pretty wet ay?' HI rather stupidly ventured, and he smiled and said, 'Yeah, are you going into town?', offering me my first free ride in Wellington, more than I had had in three years in Hobart!

Hs name was Peter and yes, he was a wine importer, originally from Dunedin, but now living in Newtown, Wellington. We chatted on and I told him I was moving to this wonderful city, and he smiled, telling me how he liked Sydney and Melbourne too, and he'd been recently to a  wine exhibition in Melbourne and went to the Dali show at the NGV. Of course I had to repay his kindness with my Dali story, which he lapped up like a greedy cat. After all, I had met and had tea with the great artist and his wife Gala, when I lived as his neighbour in Cadaques. We introduced ourselves and I said I was  sure we would meet up again sometime, as I intended to live in Newtown when I found  a place, or had I already??

He dropped me just where I wanted to go, Courtenay Place, the epicentre of Wellington, and where I had fond memories of my first visit in Cafe Mr Bun. I went in, ordered a coffee and poached eggs, and found a perfect seat in the comfy leather armchairs to watch Wellington unfold outside the large widows overlooking the wet plaza, a perfect cross-section really, of Wellington street life. I couldn't help but make the comparison with Hobart. Not a wheelchair or limp in sight, a healthy and happy bunch of Kiwis, of many nationalities and so used to this windy wet weather in their capital city. I think I'll get used to it too. 

This afternoon I will do the classic wet day thing, go to a movie at the Embassy, the original and classic cinema which is showing a New Zealand movie I am unlikely to see anywhere else.

The Embassy is truly a relic from the past. A tiny Irish lassie tells me she used to live in North Hobart, she's escaped too! But really, even on the wettest Monday in Wellington's history, there is still more life  there than Hobart in Collins St on a Saturday night. I decide to forego the Maori movie about a poor shoplifting Maori boy and take a  walk on the wildside myself, so Cuba Street, here I come.

Part of the street is made into a mall, and the upper end is where the Comfort Hotel is where we have the Seminar in five weeks time. I take a few shots and discover an Opportunity shop next to the hotel. Memories of my last visit and my purchase of the preloved 1950s white dinner jacket linger, so I go in and buy a cool brown soft Derby, much better than my tired navy blue beanie, so into the bin with it!

Feeling the fatigue of a day on the road, I opt for a ginger and honey tea at 178 Cuba, seems like a uni student hangout as the Faculty of Architecture is just down the road. I realise I have walked nearly through all of Wellington, except of course, the fabulous waterfront which I will save for a sunny day. It will be home for another quiet night with Emma and Pippy, no Tango for me tonight!








No comments:

Post a Comment