Sunday 23 June 2013

Eureka!

It's Sunday night, the eve of my departure from Wellington. Today dawned fine and blue skies, the first of the visit, and a welcome change so I can stroll and look at the streets a little more easily. I take the bus all the way into the city, to the Train Station, an Art Deco style piece with no trains running because of the blackout I presume. They were the worst storms for fifty years inWellington.

 I stroll and look and finally decide it is time for a coffee, so a nice one appears out of the blue, it is actually a magazine shop, dedicated solely to magazines, hundreds of them. The young man at the coffee bar at the entrance is an excellent barrista, and I buy a Saturday's Dominion to read while I order a flat white. He is very charming and we chat and he tells me he isa country boy never left NZ. Also works at Rush, the new gay bar in Wigan St, he confesses somewhat self consciously. I ask if he knowsSean,my friend   from AIDS NZ , he does and likes him. So we we now are at ease and he says he has been 'out' for a while but doesn't do the scene, doesn't even like it. I sympathise with him and introduce myself, he is Sam, I'll come back another Sunday for another coffee.

It's nearly time for the ECK Sunday meeting so I take the bus, only to discover my Snapper card is empty! I think I've forgotten to 'Snap' off a few times. The driver generously gives me a free ride, understanding my predicament. Arriving early at Flashdog, I meet Harry and then Gwyneth, who is Cherel's friend I was destined to meet. We chat and Peter arrives and then we wait for Floss.
A good class later, Gwyneth gives me a lift to see my first flatshare which I had arranged yesterday at 3.30 with Maria at Oriental Bay. It had seemed too good to be true and I was glad to have Gwyneth with me.

 It is only five minutes from the city, along the bayside, spectacular buildings and obviously some of the best real estate inWellington. The house is perched high on the cliff and worse for wear, but interesting to say the least. Number 42, looks a mess downstairs but upstairs I recognise from the photos, but it looks not like I had expected, but at that rent, what could I expect? A dishevelled blonde d'une certaine age answers and then a bubbly Filipina called Maria comes and says Hullo Paul!  I am instantly won   over and in the next hour we chat and have a cup of tea and decide, that, yes, this is the place I've been looking for, although it's quite different from anything I had thought about. But it's strictly and totally Wellington, and a twenty minute walk to town, along a spectacular bayside route. 

 I can't quite believe I agree immediately to live with Maria (Pam) and her flattie Amy, but I do, and I think it's as perfect as I could wish for. Amy has a twenty-two year old gay son who lives in Wellington she wants me to meet, and Maria sings like a bird. We exchange songs and seal the deal. I will cancel my pre-booked BnB and move in the Sunday of the Seminar, July 28, for my new life in Wellington. 

It's just as my dreams predicted only better. I will become a real denizen of this fabulous city, as I may now not even need a car. What a miracle!

Maria drives me to the city and I get out for an Iraqi kebab, then walk along Cuba St  to my favourite cafe where I have my honey and ginger tea. Really I cannot believe my 'luck'! Home to tell Emma of my good news and tomorrow to Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment