Thursday 20 June 2013

Glammaphones




It's June twentieth, my birthday over, thank God, and now for my sixty ninth year, but not mentioning any numbers! Had a lovely take away Malaysian meal at David and Viva's in Kilbirnie after a very uplifting singing of the HU.
Floss's sister Dee was there whom I had met in Melbourne thirty years ago, just passing through on way back to Brisbane. Discovered hat Viva is a supremely talented musician and singer, now retired but with a sparkling career behind her, and of course married to David the premier photographer in Wellington. They are quite a couple. Floss dropped me home a mere five minutes drive away, this is certainly the area I want to live in, close to the city, an interesting suburb and close to friends. The right house will appear when I am ready, and that is not till August 5.
A quiet at home morning with the cat as I am singing with the Glammaphones tonight at St Andrews Church on TheTerrace. Need some energy for that as I'm not sure what it will entail. more tomorrow.
But before that a meeting with Sean Kelly of the Wellington AIDS foundation to enquire about some volunteer work, no doubt there will be something to do there.
A late morning coffee and Almond croissant at the Can Can where I am writing this, busy and good 'grand creme' coffee. Must write a few postcards to commemorate my visit.

Have just returned from an excellent and informative meeting at the NZ AIDS Council where I met the director Sean and his excellent counsellor in chief Brenda. They were both super charming and offered  me a warming Earl Grey tea, it is indeed wet and windy in Wellington and everyone is apologising for it. A week of bad weather they say, it  must get better, but I am enjoying every minute if it. I still have two hours to spend, so go into a cafe bar down Willis street, which by the way, is the via Condotti of Wellington. The cafe, called Chillout, serves an excellent game pie, with salad and sauce, for just a few dollars, so I am satisfied I will have the energy to sing in the choir tonight.  

The talk with Sean, a native northern Englander, and Brenda, a native from Ottawa, was sympathetic and encouraging, they recognise I have quite a bit to contribute and look forward to my arrival in five weeks. It is indeed an excellent start to this part of my NZ episode. It is time to close so I am the last to leave, I say thanks, and I'll be back, for another pie another day.

Still more time to kill, I see doors unusually open of a Catholic church on a hill, St Mary's, and go in for half an hour's contemplation on my good luck. A beggar accosts me with a long story about his poor wife, so a couple of dollars poorer, I say thank you, and goodbye.

The weather is indeed what they told me about, and people are so rugged up and aware that all is as it should be, in Windy Wellington. I continue my trek to St Andrews on The Terrace, another ten minutes walk, but see a welcoming Hotel foyer of the Grand Chancellor ready to keep me warm and dry until choir calls at 6.30. As well there is an excellent pianist tinkling the keys and no one to listen to him but me, and a very appreciative me at that! This is exactly as I thought Wellington would be, a small Melbourne, circa sixties, but with the edge of the 21st century. And SO much to offer...

No comments:

Post a Comment