Sunday 16 June 2013

Kiwi reconnaissance

June 15, 2013.
In air, fifty minutes from Wellington, my destination I have waited over seven years to reach.
Leaving Hobart this morning was done like clockwork. Awake at 4am, no alarm, all things prepared from last night, scheduled departure time 4.45 with Anthony warming up his car at twenty to. It was dark and wet, slippery roads so I didn't want to rush. arrived at Hobart Airport at twenty past five, shook hands with Anthony who said he wanted to be in my back pocket.Through security in a flash and time for a last airport coffee. Flight took off a minute early and arrived in Melbourne on time. Check in perfect, told it was a long walk to Gate 18 B, so I began another security search and customs check. The customs officer, a charming young woman, complimented me on my passport photo. i knew all was in order, I had even been given leg room in exit number 18 c.
I chose to see the movie Argo, the award winning thriller about  the Iran hostages. It made me nervous about going through customs in Wellington with my raw almonds I bought yesterday, but heck, I'll try it anyway.  The kiwis I see in the cabin are many and varied, but the overall impression is very favourable, I think it's going to be even better than I had thought. Breakfast is served and I unwisely have a third coffee which doesn't sit well in my stomach, a bit too much acid. Must rectify that.

I ask for a glass of water which is immediately delivered, with a smile. I turn on the flight details on the screen, ETA 2.35 local time, a three hour flight and I can't wait to touch down in Wellington. my kind AirBnB host, Emma, emailed last  night saying she will pick me up at airport in her Silver Toyota. i hope my Travel Sim works so I can text her when we arrive. What a great start to this much anticipated trip,which  will set the stage for the next chapter in my life, a chapter that I've waited seven long years to open. I take photo. I look pretty tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment