Saturday 26 October 2013

Saturday night of the Long Weekend...

I'm afraid I may  regret staying in Wellington this Labour Holiday weekend. Apparently it empties faster
than a sick man's belly in Bali. I am in Sweet Mama's Kitchen on Courtenay Place and believe me this Mama has personality. I have passed by its bulging doors quite often, but never had the temerity to try and get a seat. It is always full of young people and there are also the young who run it. They serve large plates of food, sometimes too large - basic good grub I suppose you'd call it. I opt for a corn chowder seafood soup which my neighbour opposite is having and it looks OK. I settle down with a Saturday  Dominion Post and wait for it to arrive. It is passable good, and quite filling, just what I need to sustain me for my next Saturday venture.

It is the top Italian movie of the current Festival, which was also the opening movie, and it will be my last.
It's called 'Welcome to the North' and it's touted to  be a comedic romp, a doubtless copy of the hugely successful French movie of a few years ago, Bienvenu Chez les Stychs. I don't hold out too much hope as, like its counterpart, it has been too popular. Just last night I was totally wrong footed when I misguidedly went to my favourite cinema the 'Lighthouse on Cuba', to see Tom Hanks' latest monstrosity, Captain Philips. It was a movie about some Somalian 'pirates' taking over a US cargo ship off the the African coast. The 'feel-good' part was the great American Navy coming to its rescue, but at the same time killing all six all of the Somalian fishermen 'pirates' and sentencing their captured  leader to thirty-three years in an American gaol. It was Cowboy and Indians at its worst and I don't know what morbid curiosity kept me in my seat. I felt the audience was on my side as well, as they all got up to leave as the credits began to roll. I blame my listening to a reviewer on Kiwi radio who must have been in cahoots with the cinema owners. One star at the most!

Hopefully tonight's Italian fare will at least redeem that disaster. Let's hope so. Today is still cold and windy but the rain has gone . It's scheduled to return to-morrow unfortunately so I'll be staying at home with a book. Monday is my day bus trip to Palmerston North, which I hope to be at least diverting, but with my present luck, it may turn out to be an empty cup!

Photos of the character filled caff called Sweet Mama's Kitchen
And below at the Paramount Cinema, my last taste of the Italian Film Festival, there will be a party!

No comments:

Post a Comment