Saturday 19 October 2013

Te Papa on Sunday

After an exciting if exhausting night of Scottish Dance last night I am recovering at my favourite Arts spot, Wellington's renowned and worthy museum, Te Papa, Our Place. I managed to fit in some veggie shopping at the Sunday market next to the museum, so it is convenient to have a rest on the fourth floor in their very comfy coffee lounge and look at the visitors and also the exhibitions. There is an Aztec exhibition on at present although today is not my day for that. Will just catch up on some of the many other attractions that I haven't yet seen. Also as there is Wifi here so I am doing my first research into BnBs in Vancouver for next April. So far it looks promising and I am already getting a bit excited. It is the traveller in me, always ready for a new adventure. Having Bostonian Fir in the house is also an incentive as she understands my urge, not so the other flatmate who may well be on the way to cohabiting with her new boyfriend. Not that she would admit it.

The day is beautiful and people are out in droves. However not the ones I danced with last night at the annual Scottish Country Dance romp. It was in a Memorial Hall, a large green building in the nondescript suburb of Newlands,  which hosted the annual newcomer dance  and it was packed to the rafters. So much so, that many times we were dancing with people in the next set who just happened to put out a hand or two in executing a pas de basque! It was, of course great fun and people were very friendly as they all love to dance. Proficiency certificates were given to young dancers who had passed a requisite level of aptitude. We all took a plate for super, more chocolate mud cake from me. The accompanying band was a three piece, keyboard,  fiddle and double bass. They were very effective and I must say I was very surprised to be greeted by the keyboard  player who is the conductor of my choir. As I may have mentioned, she is a multi talented woman, also a minister of the Anglican persuasion, and a dedicated Scottish Country Dancer so I discovered. Also an accompanist. It was nice to catch up with her. The evening finished after eleven, after starting at seven thirty, so it was quite a long period of dancing. And tonight more of same,  but ballroom. It is a nice change from the  hectic  team dancing of last night.
You will see from the photo I am sitting under the famous world beating motor cycle, just opposite the elevator, where I am planning to meet my Hobart friends when they arrive later this week on their cruise of the Land of the Long White Cloud.  No-one should come to Wellington and not experience the jewel in the crown that is Te Papa. I will enjoy showing them this and then strolling along the waterfront to check out the rest of the many joys of this wonderful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment