Friday 1 November 2013

Opera and The Library


A beautiful introduction to the rich and wonderful voice of fabulous Russian soprano Anna Netrebko was this 'Direct from the New York Met' production which I saw today at my favourite cinema, the Lighthouse on Cuba. The opera, Eugene Onegin, Tchaikovsky's most famous operatic work, was a great selection to start the Met season of globally watched operas. I have been waiting a while to catch up with my opera season as this was something I valued when living in Sydney and Melbourne. In the small salon seating only about forty, in softly upholstered armchairs, at this eleven a.m. session we were only eight in total, with the other single male present being an Arnold Schwarzenegger lookalike, in build but not in face, and wearing a T-shirt with the word 'Animal' scrawled across his enormous chest.

 The opera was magnificent and New York suddenly seemed very close. The poor tortured Tchaikovsky was well equipped to write this superb score to Pushkin's ultra sad story of love gone wrong in 19th Century Russia, with his own love-life having been totally denied. All the cast was spectacular, the two leading male singers from Poland were especially brilliant, both giving great and humble interviews during the programme, which is one of the many bonuses of watching the opera on HD cinema. It was indeed a great morning's music and cinema.

To finish the day I finally discoved The Library, a place I had long wanted to visit, situated directly below my 'other office' in town, Body Positive. This is a classic Wellington gem, a cocktail bar for the young, and not so young, furnished with obvious op shop, or welfare, pieces of pre-loved couches, lounge suites and armchairs, creating a peculiarly homely space. The high walls are drenched with donated books, all placed in a haphazard order in shelves built high upon the walls which also sport a variety of old prints, tapestries and whatever. I easily find a comfy space as it is essentially a late night bar so it is quite empty at five p.m. The waitress tells me most nights, and especially on weekends, the queues stretch along Courtenay Place, young people waiting for the privilege of a buying a twenty dollar cocktail. I find a banquette seat under a dim threadbare lampshade and wait the arrival of my hot lemon and honey drink. I have a good hour before my regular Friday night at Kilbirnie, singing the HU with friends. It's been quite a week really, but, then, that's life in Wellington.

Below is an example of the artwork hanging in each individual unisex 'powder-room' at the Lighthouse Cinema.There are eight of these quaint and pristine conveniences offered at this excellent establishment.  







My 'cocktail' at The Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment