Friday 6 December 2013

BP Christmas BBQ at Island Bay

I'm having a coffee at Cafe Scopa and it's a welcome relief from the gale force winds which sprang up yesterday and practically blew me into the bay, again. Today I think I have learned that lesson, go back with the northerly, up the hundred steps and catch the 14 bus from Roseneath school. Well that's what I did today and it works. I am on my way to the final ECK discussion in Wellington for the year.

But back to yesterday's BBQ in the gale at Island Bay.

I had long wanted to see this mysterious Island Bay, as people had told me how lovely it was. They're right, it is quite beautiful in a small way, but it wasn't small yesterday and our group of about eighteen from BP braved the elements to establish, in the stone hexagonal shelter which was built for bands I am sure, a small area for food which we tried to keep from blowing away.

 We had qualified success, but as always, in the the face of problems, everyone rallied and we all had a fabulous time. Presents were hilariously passed around (everyone brought a small one for distribution) and B, the CEO from Auckland, even flew down for it and was lucky his plane was permitted to land. This weather is so unpredictable. I had good chats with people I hadn't spoken much with, and feel now I would like to open my doors for a festive event at my place. I was even presented, as were most attendees, with a Certificate of Appreciation for support during the establishment of BP in Wellington. I was quite chuffed as I am an Aussie blow- in!

BP has been an undoubted success due in the main to B and R who instigated the outreach from Auckland where it had been going well for a few years. Needless to say one of the stars of the day was my Maori friend and ballroom dancer supremo, H, who showed how much he has to offer the world in his good nature and great style. H was getting more relaxed and told me some fascinating stories of his earlier life - there is lots more to hear from this exceptional man.


Cafe Scopa, reminiscing about Maori grandma's wisdom.

Stopping at The Laundry for a Chai latte before Sunday's Ballroom Dancing

Some interesting design features at this converted laundry. Where IS this customer going??

No comments:

Post a Comment