Thursday 19 December 2013

Nelson - pretty as a picture


After a two and a half hour bus ride through some lush countryside, and notably past the birthplace of famed atomic scientist Lord Rutherford, in a little hamlet called Havelock, I arrive in balmy afternoon sunshine in the prettiest of towns, called Nelson.
As I am much earlier than expected, I decided to test the local food before calling on my host who lives a little out of town. I stroll up the main street and see the strange architecture of the Anglican Cathedral on the hill, walk back and stop at this cafe for a light meal.

After a warm chicken salad the young lady owner comes outside and asks me how it is. 'Perfect,' I reply, and it was. She then proceeds to tell me what attractions are here in Nelson, and that it's only called a city by dint of possessing this Cathedral on the hill, which she tells me I must visit, so off I must go. Feeling fortified, I am ready to attack the quite steep hill where it is built, towering over, or perhaps protecting, in its special Anglican way, a very Anglican-feeling town. Not too many Maori I can see, but then it's early days. Perhaps tomorrow at the Markets in Montgomery Square I'll see some real local colour.

A Christmas tree and a stained-glass window in the exceptionally large Cathedral.

 The Cathedral is quite stark, in the Protestant way, but having been commenced in 1820 and finished in the 1960s it has a special undefinable character. And today, it doesn't have just one enormous bejewelled Christmas tree right in the nave, but lining all the walls are about twenty very original trees which are part of an exhibition, all created by local groups and charitable institutions. Together they soften the stoney atmosphere and give the gigantic space a real and sympathetic community feeling.
I think if I lived in Nelson I would have to become an Anglican!

On leaving the building I finish walking around the circumference, as the hill on which it is perched, is actually a wonderful park, full of exotic and very large trees. The sun is shining and I see others lying on the grass so I think I'll follow suit. But not before a necessary visit to a convenient place below the huge steps which, by the way, are a fabulous entry way to visit the Cathedral. And these conveniences, uni-sex of course, have the most recent Dyson hand-dryer, such a sophisticated town!

My host has called and will pick me up somewhere in the city, so I had better start walking. It has been a nice introduction to a most pretty town. 

The Cathedral park

View from my host's home on Quebec Road

I asked for a bed lamp, got an Arab with a scimitar!

No comments:

Post a Comment