Thursday 19 December 2013

The Voyage to the South Island

This morning I arrived on the excellent 'Kaitaki' (the Challenger) ferry in a bit of a nervous state, having seen sailing majestically out of the Harbour the same Interislander Ferry whilst on my bus at seven thirty to get to the city wharf. How could it leave now, at 7.30, and then also at nine, I wondered, but I held my breath and hoped my ticket was valid for the nine a.m. departure. Sure enough, on arrival at the station the shuttle bus for two dollars was waiting for me, and it was stuffed with back-packers. The holiday season had started, and probably today. The bus driver reassured me the ferry I had seen was a freighter!  Stop worrying, me! Luckily I had booked my ticket well in advance, as the holiday crowds announce a busy crossing. 

I take the escalator high up to the ship's deck and find a comfy reclinable armchair and buy a small coffee to start my day. It will be a long one as I now am scheduled to arrive at Nelson at 8.45pm, with a new bus time from Picton. The ferry is booked to the full, confirming my presumptions, so no taking two seats. There are many foreign accents to be heard and a real feeling of expectancy that only a summer holiday could bring. Happily A. is picking me up at the bus terminal at Nelson which is very kind of her, a nice way to start my mini- holiday.

The ferry is a typical large one, reminds me of the Dover /Boulougne ferry in Europe. Already a nice feeling of travel. Witi would have enjoyed this departure feeling! It was a smooth ticketing really, a quick boarding pass collected from a smiling attendant on the wharf, amidst all the bustle of Christmas holidays, and then immediate boarding on this wonderful ship. I have been gazing for months at these ferries, cruising in all sorts of weather across the always unpredictable Cook Straits, from my bedroom window. Today is quite a consummation, and the weather is perfect, a sunny smooth crossing! I have brought The Matriarch to read, one of Witi's classics, so I am not going to be bored on this trip, whatever happens. Am quietly excited....I suddenly look up and see we are passing through the heads and I didn't even know we had quit the harbour.


Early arrivals studying with intent...

The prow of the Kaitaki cruising through the straits.

My food for the crossing...

I take the opportunity to stroll through the many decks and see what's going on. It is very efficient, this Interislander Ferry, with lots to entertain the kids or the bored adults. However just the sun-drenched view from the outside upper decks is enough to make you gasp. It is such a beautiful day and passing out through  the heads at Wellington is sublime. How lucky I am with the weather and the holiday crossing! I resume my reading at another seat, this time with a window where I can see the snow-covered peaks of the mountains in the South island at a long distance. They seem ethereal in their hazy, painterly way, and perhaps one day I will be lucky enough to visit them. Soon the ferry will enter Queen Charlotte's Sound, with the picturesque Picton ready to introduce its beauty.

The lighthouse at the entrance to Queen Charlotte's Sound

Disembarking from the trusty Kaitaki I see the Intercity bus waiting for Nelson and although my booking is for the 6.30pm departure, the driver quickly signs me aboard. I now have an extra afternoon to discover Nelson. Picton, pretty though it is, can wait till Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment