Sunday 2 March 2014

Bedroom Memorabilia

I don't know what prompted me to show these secrets, but perhaps it is my sense of nostalgia coupled with mortality. I think I wanted to find a reason for these four little excerpts from my life I have hanging near my bed. They are two drawings, one done by me, and two photographs, one of me and one by me. I enjoy having them there, but why? I just do.

My recent sojourn in Tasmania left me with many memories, some of which I prefer to forget.
This charcoal sketch I did while living there may illustrate some of my feelings. 
My 'Scream' from Hobart...

Whereas in my many years spent in Melbourne where I was for the most part working as a model in a variety of ridiculous jobs, I led a life of many vicissitudes, some exciting, some scandalous, but all memorable. 
I am in the middle below, with eighties' memories in Melbourne of designer friend Antonio Lopes and model Touki, playing games between shoots.


And why Egypt? Another adventure, this time more as a tourist, but I was rarely that animal, as I always sought to live the local life, even for the briefest of episodes. I loved the mystery and antiquities of this amazing country.
A snapshot of the ancient Pyramids at Giza...



And below a pencil sketch of where I lived in an olive grove at the beautiful seaside fisher village of Cadaques on the Spanish Costa Brava. Here I had some of my happiest times in the sun, albeit in winter, much of it though was a blurry memory of brief encounters, highlighted by one very important relationship which affected my life forever.

.
My German friend Norbert sketched this impression from the front of our little stone cabin in the midst of this opulent olive grove. The sparkling Mediterranean is in the background and around the headland lay Port Lligat and our closest neighbours Salvador Dali and his wife Gala, who were very hospitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment