Friday 7 March 2014

More talent...at St Andrew's

Today is triathlon day in Wellington so I am stuck at home for the morning while my bayside road is closed for the runners/cyclists to use. This city is health obsessed, in the best way possible of course -  everyone jogs and runs and swims and cycles, everywhere.

I have decided when the road is open to go to St Andrew's which the below Glamaphones introduced me to, (they rehearse there)  to see and hear a young budding musician called Pascal who gave me his flyer at the Michael Fowler Centre this week. He obviously is trying to build funds for overseas experience. I look forward to hearing him. 
Then maybe a visit to the Nunnery at New Town, more of that later...
The Glamaphones singing Out on the Square

Later...
Well the concert was a knock-out, the pianist this twenty year old Pascal Harris who was prodigiously talented and just as modest. After giving a rendition of Beethoven's Sonata  No 4 in E flat major he finished in the second half with Schubert's Sonata No 21 in B  flat major with a flourish which would have done David Helfgott justice. Actually he reminded me lot of that Aussie prodigy, but later, on congratulating him, I discovered he was just a quiet young Kiwi boy trying to get a full house one day. There were unfortunately only about twenty people max. in the well acoustically tuned church to listen to this star of the keyboard, and OK, I am not a pianist, but I can recognise someone who could grace Carnegie Hall one day. Watch the name, Pascal Harris, tall, curly hired and somewhat gangly, when he takes the piano stool he is transformed into a virtuoso performer. 

He completely blew me away so I just googled him and I was right. He has on U-tube a five minute recital of Chopin where he speaks fluent Japanese and French; also is a First Class honours graduate with hobbies of philosophy and chess - just another Kiwi genius I suppose! 

So I decided that was enough for me today,  with just a quick trip to Cuba for a hot lemon drink and snack at Midnight Espresso all that I need to finish the day. Tomorrow I may go to the Nunnery.

But before I finish, a nice touch in Cuba Street. An interesting young man on the corner approached me to chat, I initially thought he wanted money, but no, just a chat. He is a street photographer name of Jacob, from the South Island, Lyttleton to be exact.  So he took my photograph for his blog and I took one of him for my blog. So here it is, one with his artist friend Harley who just appeared at the same time.  Both were typical of the artistic ability which resounds in this city and perhaps one day they will make news, but it ain't really that necessary. They loved hearing my story of living in NYC in the late sixties, and yes, Cuba Street is a little Greenwich Village I told them, just a lot safer.

Later I noticed they had arrived for a meal at Midnight Espresso as well, I knew I'd see them again. In fact they are itching to learn about life, but hopefully without the hindrance of drugs, something I  mentioned to them in passing as I feared they may be dabbling. It was an interesting end to a short, but very Wellington sort of day.

Below Pascal at his beloved piano...


St. Andrew's on The Terrace, concert venue.

Harley, left, Jacob, right, denizens of Cuba

No comments:

Post a Comment