Friday 22 May 2015

Busy Saturday 'dans le Sud'

I am having a full cultural day today after a disappointing visit to the Mediterranean Cafe in Newtown. They don't know how to make coffee there I have decided, and today I told them so, but probably the barista will never learn, if he can't already do it now.

So I have come to Vic Uni where there is a semi-French play, Le Sud, which was recommended by B at the Thursday's meeting.. I finally find the venue and and have rashly, probably, a second try at a coffee...because this time it will be a good one, and I will be paying for it, awake at one a.m. tomorrow morning.

Now for the play! See below...
Tomorrow's ballet 'Salute' at St James


The perils of the Kiwi bush, a lost tramper, again...

Strong letter supporting trans ops.....and to get qualified surgeons here to do them. There is a waiting list of up to 24 years! Is that fair to our brothers and sisters born in the wrong sex? 

A book I would love to read, neurologist and renowned social observer Oliver Sacks, finds love at 77!Sacks has written a second autobiography practically on his death-bed, with cancer, where he relates that after a life of oppression and depression, much of it caused by a disapproving mother, he finds a lover in California at age 77. There is hope yet!

Best foreign movie of year, by far!More below..

A good barista at Vic Uni...

...and an excellent local comedy!

Well you can never say there is nothing to do in Wellington, esp. for an old codger like me...
Last night at my favourite cinema, the Cuba Lighthouse (best hot chocolates ever!) I saw what was voted as Best Foreign Movie and I can totally endorse that decision. It was incredibly funny, even blacker than Almovodar, who with his brother, co-produced this absolute gem from Argentina.

They were six short stories of revenge, all superbly acted, directed and filmed, and I laughed out loud often, which is very rare for me. It was a real introduction in a multi-facted fashion to today's life in Argentina, where modern Buenos Aires strutted its stuff, for better or for worse, certainly showing some not very easy parts of its lifestyle, although with such a Latin panache it made you forgive everything. It was indeed a fabulous introduction to this most advanced of Latin countries, and it is obvious why the famed and super talented Almovodar brothers lent their names and energy to this superb bunch of short black comedies. A Five Star movie and a must-see for any cinema tragic like myself.

Which brings me to today's great, locally written and acted, production at Victoria University called 'Le Sud'. A student effort, created by the French Society, ironically showed just how cool and talented this group of young people are. Written by Dave Armstrong, directed by Brett Reid, it showcased the talent of six actors, many of whom spoke fluent and good French. It was a smart political satire positing the situation of New Zealand being owned and governed by the 'invading' two nations, Britain and France, with the French governing the South island, Le Sud,  which had superior natural resources, or did so in this story, and the North, owned by the inept Pakeha in tow with the Maori. In funny twists it very accurately rendered the present political climate of a co-party government, and satirised the French and Maori stereotypes while at the same time sending up the less than brilliant contribution of the Pakeha British element.  It was quite a romp with the audience in stitches and I am sure it will be recorded in the annals of the VUW French Society as one of their great 'succès d'estime'. 
FĂ©licitations to VUW!

A last Post Script to Saturday was a visit to the short but sweet concert by my former choir The Glamaphones. They sang a medley of film songs and were much appreciated by a near full-house. It made me miss my singing in a choir and when I return to OZ that is high on my list of 'to do's.

At the movies..

No comments:

Post a Comment