Tuesday 7 May 2013

Rome, here I come!

At airport, through security and customs, a breeze, and another hour before the gate 12 even opens. All is well, extra well really, although the only thing not yet working are my bowels, but then, that was to be expected. they'll come good later I hope.
Anthony came with me to Hobart airport, ready exactly as he said even a little before 5 am. He was stretching with two dumbells at his doorstep, totally prepared for our little ritual trip to the airport. It will be a cleansing this time as on our last trip we arrived five minutes late, my seat had been taken and the flight closed. Not a nice memory although I survived, albeit quit a bit poorer after the last seat in a Qantas flight broke the bank! This time no problems, boarding pass in hand and at least half an hour before flight time, which, for Hobart was acceptable. Of course Anthony wanted to talk, more excited about my travels than me, as it is is dream to leave the island one day, thus completely breakingthe mould  which ties him to his Tasmanian heritage. He has given up smoking, again, and drinking, and therefore has no friends. I encourage him to continue his dream, although I know it will be a hard one for him to realise.

On the Virgin aircraft, aisle seat, I am immediately assailed by strident voices discussing work and kids. A couple of dressed up forty somethings, on their way for a big day shopping in Melbourne. At six am a harsh excited voice, reminiscent of chalk on a childhood blackboard, is not the easiest to deal with. I have started my travels!

At Changi airport, for an eight hour stopover.....
Safety, industry and efficiency, that is the feel of this highly organised airport, no terrorists here.

At least I can catch up with this blog. The Qantas flight was uneventful, with a large Indian man directly In front of me being fussed over by his wife and son. He was not a happy traveller. Happily I had no one around me as it was not at all a full flight. Most stewards were Asian, with one middle-aged Aussie wheezing about. The food was extravagantly,  written but bland an uninteresting to eat.
I caught up with three inflight movies during the seven hour stint, all ones I wanted to see...The Sessions, with Helen Hunt, The Sapphires, top Aussie movie, and the French foodie movie Haute Cuisine, all good. But I am a wreck, and my eyeballs are falling out go their sockets. I need a nap but can't seem to take one. I'll be great tomorrow, lol!

But one marvellous bonus of travelling with Qantas was the pilot telling us when we were over Uluru and the Olgas, a breathtaking view of the red centre, something I will never forget, amazing desert landscape. Woul have liked to have taken a photo of it. But anyway, it was worth the trip, in itself!
Here are two snaps at the resting place...








No comments:

Post a Comment