Monday 13 January 2014

Malabar - summer

Well this is my first time I have to catch up with my blog...the ECK seminar finished with a lovely ice cream with Murali on the bay beach cafe an I managed to avoid all goodbyes which I am never good at. A couple of buses later and I was in Malabar at brother's large and somewhat lonely house by the ocean. He is still living in the loss of his wife from cancer three years ago. How long this will last I don't know. But it is his life to lead.

A lovely afternoon with food friend PK at his new home in Redfern, and I was able to see his new tenants to be, a young Syrian student who is ideal, coupled with a young couple of private school-girl uni students  who would provide a good balance. PK has finally made the break to live in Sydney and it is his beloved home town, so he is nervously happy. He invited me to dinner and we ate Pad Thai at one of the several local restaurants which gave me memories of the Wellington cafe scene. Redfern is certainly the new Paddington in Sydney, close to the CBD, trendy, with now very expensive real estate. Clover Moore, Sydney's fame Lord Mayor,  who happens to be an ex-date of mine from Uni days, has facilitated the inner city  progress by choosing to live in this once Aboriginal reputed Redfern a few decades ago.

PK is a lesson in bravery, where in his middle years, he is relocating his home to very expensive Sydney where, although an intensely private person, he now has to have three tenants to afford the home he desires. However I assure him, he will succeed, and prosper, because of his bravery. He who doesn't dare, won't win.

Back to Malabar, where my brother, who doesn't dare, has prepared a nice meal which I don't partake of, but all is OK. We have learned over the years to accept our differences and not intrude in each other's lives. Families do not need to continue intimacies when their chosen lives diverge so much that they cease to have common aims. A good reason for me to stay in the Shaky Isles, lol.

After a few phone calls I now have arranged a full few days to satisfy all my friends, and myself, before I return on Thursday. Today is lunch with old friend Patsy, and her friends who are Trustedhousesitters, so I will be able to get some advice there. After lunch I plan the essential movie at Opera Dendy on Circular Quay, Nicole Kidman's latest movie, The Railwayman, which has had good reviews, and then there is the big unknown, a scheduled meeting with the Personals reply I received just before leaving NZ. This person, H, has written several emails and is shaping up with some interest to be an encounter of the third kind. I'll keep you posted.

My brother's prized back verandah..
Feeling Sydneyfied at Malabar Beach.

Taken from the Opera House in late afternoon sun with many people enjoying the holiday season
Sydney Opera for the people...

The movie I saw, The Railwayman, a rather gut-wrenching true story of two survivors of the infamous Burma railway, left me with the need to get out in the most beautiful of setting suns over Sydney Harbour Bridge and its twin icon, Sydney Opera House. 
Hundreds are out celebrating to the theme of the famous Aussie barbecue, with live outdoor music and obviously lots to drink. Indeed, life is sweet on Sydney Harbour on a summer afternoon.

Setting sun behind city...

Manly Ferry gracing the waves...
I decided to arrive on time, tried my mobile no coverage, again. Vodaphone really sucks here with little reception and I suppose had I been patient and waited for my optus simcard it would have been OK.
Mais c'est la vie! It's now after eight and no sign of arrival, lucky I have no expectations...lol!


Waiting at the City Xtra, but not for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment