Sunday 26 January 2014

New paint job..

It is now over three months that I have been entertaining two elderly tradesmen, a painter, S, and his boss the carpenter, C.  My house has been shared with one grumpy old man, and the other who 'just loves a chat', so I have to be very wary when I begin a conversation, as it may go on for a lot longer than expected and the job will too!

This job, the complete painting and repairing of this 1900s weatherboard house, perched on a cliff on Evans Bay, it is not a particularly easy one, as there are no sheltered outdoor areas to store work stuff, paint etc, and nowhere to sit and relax at lunchtime, and morning tea, and afternoon tea. You get my drift, I have been sharing my days with these two tradies, my dining room, kitchen, toilet, veranda, and, boy, will I be glad when they have finished. I got to know them early, inviting them to have coffee and cake with me one morning. Well that was the beginning and it was not possible to withdraw. They love sharing my home with my two female housemates, who at least are at work every day and who rarely see them. However I am now counting the days until they leave, the job finished. I hope it was worth it, but I think it will be.
Here is S, gingerly on the job...

and the front veranda, no longer useable...

Yesterday was quite a day as well, just showing me how easy it is to have a full day in Wellie...

My day began with an appointment with a new dentist in an extremely smart condo just up the road from BP in Courtenay Place. It was recommended by someone who obviously liked the good things in life. The foyer was gigantic resembling an American hotel foyer and I was greeted by several pert receptionistes all looking to help me out. My appointment was with one of the principals named Ravi, a very impressive and youngish Indian professional with numerous framed certificates all set decorously on his wall, that is where there weren't full-length glass windows overlooking Courtenay Place. I sat, or lay down, in the comfy dental-chair, and glanced up to the ceiling and saw a giant flat screened tellie giving me all local news and other programs - a nice innovation and good distraction from the possible torture (just joking) I was about to endure.

 Ravi was very pleasant, took some obligatory X-rays assuring me they were harmless, and proceeded to agree I that needed a half-tooth replaced which had fallen out recently - my old fillings had seen better days. He also politely told me there was an insidious shadow lurking behind some more fillings on another molar which need attention. OK I said, let's do it, fearing the worst financially, as I am not dentally insured, and after all it is Wellington, the coolest, but very expensive, city in the world.

I am finally ushered out with the promise of an early appointment  tomorrow and a 'nice to have met you', each word reeking dollars. But before leaving I was kindly invited to an 'interview', more like a chat, with the clinic manager, another totally charming Kiwi professional who would never have sullied her tongue with the word 'dollars'. She discreetly slipped me a two page quote of the cost of my treatment and promised to 'be in touch'.  On exiting, after saying  goodbye to the lovely receptionists, I glanced at the paperwork, a three figure sum, as expected, but for one treatment, including today's diagnosis, it was close to six hundred dollars, quite a bit more than I had expected. Such is life in Wellington.

Next stop, a cheaper one, was at Wellington Hospital to see James and the blood people to have my blood tests done for Tuesday's  appointment. Arriving at the Outpatients I await on the designated red chair area, and my turn comes, having taken my number from the wall stash. On entering, 'Your papers?' I am politely asked, 'Sorry I wasn't given any.' I reply. Result, without them I have no chance of having tests. 

What to do? I quickly phone and text James, who isn't there, and then decide to go to the hospital cafeteria to wait and have some lunch and a much needed coffee which I have previously avoided in order to keep my 'bloods' cafeine-free. I wasn't going to wait any longer. Seated with a coffee my cell phone rings and it is James. 'Am on way' he calmly says, 'Am in cafe.' I reply, 'Wait for me', he says. So in twenty minutes I have the required papers and a new person does my 'bloods' to be ready for tomorrow's visit. I find out later from Lesley at BP always to ring James before you go to remind him you are coming...another lesson learned.

So back to BP after this lesson, and I am booked in for a massage with G, something which I always enjoy. An hour later, very refreshed, I am back home to prepare for my evening debut at Different-strokes Wellington Swim Club, at Kilbirnie Swim Centre. It is at 7.30pm and I arrive on time to see my friend Julian in the change room with a few other likely lads doffing their clothes. Julian greets me and warmly introduces me to the other very friendly swimmers. Somehow I have a warm fuzzy feeling already but still have an hour of lap-swimming ahead of me. 

At the poolside, the coach, a redoubtable American lassie called Paige, ex super-champ, smilingly invites me to do eight lengths of the 25 metre pool and kick only on the return lap. I try to indulge her but have many rests at each end as I am certainly not as fit as the others. But it is all a good experience and it makes me swim which I need to do.

In the change-room later I chat with Julian and the team Captain M. who  says he hopes that I can come to Auckland for the annual swim meet to compete up there on February 8 virtually only a week away. It is something to think about but maybe is bit soon. I thank him and feel it would indeed be a nice way to meet everyone. All this swimming is quite a commitment, three times a week, an hour each visit, but then I will be giving up something else, my choir. We'll see what eventuates.

So this was a very busy and productive Monday and I have a few things to consider. Now my year is getting organised. My next big thing is my Maori class which hopefully starts next week, and is something I am really looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment