Thursday 14 August 2014

Roman Polanski's weird genius

It is Saturday morning, a beautiful sunny day so I have escaped to have a coffee on the wharf and consider this mad apologia that passed for a film as Venus in Fur. Written by American David Ives it was not as I thought, a real life version of Roman Polanski's life and desires, although not too far away from them I suspect. His wife Emmanuelle Seigneur was the bondage dominatrix of the movie and Mathieu Amalric excellently portrayed the tortured writer, putting all his fantasies on the stage. It was indeed well acted and performed basically in one room, an old theatre. It was originally written as a stage play and was probably better as such.
Polanski would have enjoyed very much seeing his young wife displayed her curves and nudity on the screen, however tastefully it was done. It was worth seeing I suppose, but not really anything new for me, and I wonder if anything new for Polanski. Three stars, but I may be a bit harsh.
Today is 'find a housemate day' so I am waiting patiently for my Japanese Naoko to text me, if not before noon then I will text her and replace the ad., as she would have been OK but wants the room today. Not possible. Tonight am going to Barbershop Pan Pacific concert at the Michael Fowler Centre which will be great. A day like today, warm sunny and spectacular makes me want to share it with someone but who, perhaps I will give Beth a welcome visit home!

Here I am having lovely tomato soup at Beth's with lovely view of mountains outside.
Had nice catch-up with Beth although her neighbour was a bit narky about my parking in her cul-de-sac, I tried to be pleasant but she was not nice!

Just back from the concert it was amazing! The best choral concert I have ever heard I can truthfully say. The local male choirs, the Aussie male choirs, and the World Champion Barbershop Choir from California were all an incredible treat. I sat with my WOSOSI friends in a good seat and enjoyed it immensely. A very memorable evening indeed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment