Friday 20 February 2015

Auckland Pride

Somehow I seem to have lost a blog, perhaps last night in the plane when I was writing about the chattering teenagers next to me it was not meant to be recorded, as I no longer have that page.
Oh well, in the meantime I have flown to Auckland for the quarterly BP Board Meeting which happens to be on the same day as the Gay Pride March, much like Sydney's Mardi Gras.

Am breakfasting at the Alleluya Cafe in the fab arcade on Karangahape. Happily it is situated just above my hotel for the the night, the  Scotia. I was downgraded, so to speak, on my request, and the new hotel was quite adequate albeit the room was a quarter the size of the Amora. But the TV worked, the hot water eventually worked and even the instant coffee was OK. I managed to go for a walk in the balmy night in order to see exactly where I would be today, and of course, even here in BIg Auckland, nothing is far away.  It is certainly what you would say, a city with big city vibes, but because it is in Kiwiland, it's much more 'sympa', as the French would say, nice and friendly.

It is obvious that the major property wealth has been procured by the Indio-Asian power cliques, as the inner city density is just like it is in those countries. As it is Gay Pride weekend and this cafe  is owned by a Proud Gay, we have quite a smattering of gay couples having breakfast, either locals or having arrived, like me, for the Big Day, although at this stage I am not sure if I am even going to see the parade. I may go to Waiheke as prearranged with Norma.

But first the Board Meeting with Body Positive, and I see my report has been circulated by the secretary already, with photos perhaps, I don't know. I think they have never had someone on the board quite like me before, so I may as well make a good impression. They will have a float in the parade so I should really capture that. On va voir!

Alleluya Cafe



Dance in Auckland

The owner reading his paper

Well the Board Meeting is over and the BP float is bedecked with red garlands to be accompanied by near naked muscle men wearing little but long red inflated ballon snakes, the reference being obvious. I take a few snaps on my i-phone but that is as close as I'll get tonight, as the Parade starts at 7.30 and my plane leaves at 8pm, so it is back to plan A, being taking a casual ferry-ride to Waiheke Island and having a cuppa with Norma to catch up on her big news.

En route to Waiheke

Auckland Airport

After a brief hour visit to the ever fabulous Waiheke Island where Norma took me to see her new dream home, I am now waiting at the airport. It was worth the visit, Norma had lived through a traumatic buying spree where she bought the house for $1.4 million and was just recovering from the drama. But it is an amazing house, and wonderfully presented with fantastic views. Four bedrooms and three bathrooms with decking galore. It is an amazing home for just one single woman, and one day I am sure I will stay with her there as she will need validation for such an extravagant, but fabulous, purchase. She has already invited me, with a friend, to come and stay anytime and I will. The lifestyle at Waiheke has to be seen to be believed as they live such a privileged and wonderful life. I wonder sometimes how many of them are at all aware of their unbelievable luck to be living in such a paradise. 
Aah well, perhaps they've earned it in a past life!

No comments:

Post a Comment