Thursday 29 December 2016

Di's return visit

Yesterday was so hot at 38 degrees that I did absolutely nothing. And then I find that today is to be the same, and Di is arriving on her return road trip to Melbourne, so it will be another experience to savour. Perhaps she'll come for a swim with me at seven pm.

Lunch on Wedensday with Paula was good at Cafe Jam in East Gosford with my friend Margo still in action there, although the chorizo was a bit too much for me. Her son Dylan has taken the mantle and become a chef too, and the other son Marnie, is doing a film school course. It was much the same as when I arrived there eighteen years ago, nothing seems to change in Gosford. A visit to Paula's home later at Lisarow resulted in the gift of a perfect sun umbrella for my back hot space, and also an unexpected catch up with friends Colin and Ian at their beautiful deer farm also at Lisarow. They were in good form and it was as I had only seen them last week not ten years ago! Memories afternoon teas in their paradise came rushing back and I now could chat at length with Kwi Ian who left  New Zealand forty-five years ago with no regrets. 

More steamy weather...
Big cocaine bust, where does it all end up I wonder? The cocaine I mean.
A great favourite of mine as a young boy, and still rocking at eighty, Goodbye. Debbie!
François Fillon may well be the next President of France.

Last night at Ocean Beach at sunset, beautiful.

One of Ruby's regulars who has breakfast everyday here, and she cuts a stylish figure as well, reminding me of my dear departed Mum.

This is the 'Amazon' Jamie Packer was planning to wed before his unscheduled China collapse... is she for real, or just one of the trophies Packer wanted to keep for a year or two for his reputation to stay intact as a red blooded male? What a great red herring that was, and Mariah even looks like one and is now several million dollars the richer, not that she needs it!
Shirley Hazzard led a wonderful ex-pat life all over the world, but especially on Capri where she befriended Graham Greene  and wrote about him in her Memoir. She died this month at eighty-five. She had a great education and an early opportunity to excel with a travelling diplomat father where she met some fascinating people in China and the US, marrying one of them, famous biographer Francis Steegmuller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment