Thursday 8 December 2016

Human Rights Award

Today is my long awaited attendance at the Westin, a Sydney watering hole and upmarket hostelry, for the presentation of the 2016 Human Rights Awards. Why am I going? Well I booked a place months ago in while in New Zealand, and it was my own reward for my return to OZ. I thought that I may as well meet the crème de la crème of Australia's judicious and serving population in an ever-increasing corrupt State of NSW. As well, the great comedienne Magda Subanski is being the Chair
 so it will be fun I am sure.
One of the taglines in the program....
Left is Jordan my neighbour, a lovely activist with Lebanese Sri Lankan background
Here is GillianTriggs, outgoing Human Rights Commissioner and the real star of today's proceedings... She gave a great speech indeed.

Iconic Aboriginal Archie Roach, one of the Stolen Generations, sang two songs, both incredibly moving, about 'taking the children away', and we are only starting now. It was a great luncheon and so many magnificent socially responsible people getting together to mark Human Rights Day which is Saturday.

The day one one to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment