Sunday 11 May 2014

'Elena' at the Brazilian Festival

This Film festival is stupendous. Brazil certainly has a vibrant cinema industry although this latest offering, a documentary of sorts, has left me in a mixed state of sadness and admiration. Called 'Elena',  made by a woman Petra Costa, it was on the subject of the death of the writer/director's sister Elena, by suicide, in New York City in 1990. Beautifully shot and told with much personal early footage taken by the deceased person herself, the film is an absolute gem. Sorrowful, but real, incredibly beautiful and very touching, it made me think of the recent suicide of my good Brazilian friend R in Sydney, unfortunately not long after he had visited me in Hobart. There is a sadness and fatal quality in some people, I don't know if it is a national trait, I hope not, but have Brazilians today lost all their faith in a higher force? Perhaps it seems so. Their country is a strange mix of utter poverty and great wealth, a desire to escape coupled with a need to be free to express themselves, all this creating a complex recipe with sometimes a tragic result.

I think I need to see a more up-beat movie to raise my spirits about the Brazilians, although here in the foyer of the Paramount they are making great atmosphere and showing their musicality, versatility and love of life. Let's hope this is the real Brazil, after all it is called the Reel Brazil Film Festival! 

The Paramount is really the home to Art Cinema and the Wellington Film Society has weekly films here. One day when I have time, I will join it.

Forgot to mention the excellent short films on before each feature, and tonight's was called 'Night Shift', a fittingly sad preamble to the movie, but also a gem in its own right. Shot at Auckland airport it showed an episode in the life of an unhappy Maori shift worker, a cleaner, who was homeless living in her car with two little girls. Rather a desperate start to the evening...
Post movie food and singing...
Earnest conversation...

No comments:

Post a Comment