Tuesday 6 May 2014

Ti Whanawhana - fantastica!

This is fast becoming my favourite cafe, if only because of its coffee, sounds reasonable ay?

I have just made two purchases from Abel Traders, my local providore of things beautiful to decorate my home. The proprietor, a Cook Islander married to a Kiwi called Nicholas, is a rough cookie but I have given her quite a few sales already, including my tiger Selina, so she is sympathetic. Anyway I had been eyeing off this lovely portrait of a young Ho Chi Minh and could see him hanging happily in my Salon de francais. It wasn't an original, but a vey good print, so I went in to negotiate. She, call her Ida, was willing to make a sale as Ho had been there for a while. So I saw another print, a French poster, nicely framed, of a half naked woman advertiseing an exhibition in the eighties in Paris. So I suggested she throw that one in and we made a deal. Two for the price of one, but still a good price for her. I will now refrain from buying that bullock skin for the floor!

But really this blog is about my Maori singing and culture class of last night. What a lot of talent was in the room of the Prostitutes' Collective, and we all enjoyed so much the evening, ably facilitated by Kevin, my swimming mate. Ti Whanawhana is singing the opening and closing anthems at the Candlelight Memorial, so I am happy to say that part of the night will be excellent anyway. My speech is the other part I still haven't written so now home to give it a first draft.

After that it is the Wednesday HU and then quickly to see two gay films at the Film Archives, historical ones of early gay liberation in Wellington. Should be interesting so I am cancelling my Scottish Dance to attend as it is a one-off.


The Crate Cafe - connected to the famous Quilters Bookshop, second-hand of course.
Ghuznee Street, second only to Cuba

No comments:

Post a Comment