Friday 16 May 2014

Friday night in town...

I rushed into the city to post an airmail card to my friend A in Sydney, hoping for a six pm collection, but no luck, mail picked up at 4.30 so now it looks like A will receive her birthday card quite late as the mail here is abysmally slow, like five days airmail to arrive in Sydney, can you believe it, from one capital to another! FIVE days? It's only a three and a half hour flight! Anyway so be it, she will enjoy it when it eventually does arrive.

Today has been more of the same, final preps for learning my speech and having the regular  Friday Pot Luck lunch at BP. The Kaumatua from Auckland arrived today and was in fine spirits. It is he who leads the spiritual kick-off for the Candlelight Memorial on Sunday. Today he seemed extremely un-spiritual, I must say,  but hey, who am I to say!

Did some interesting shopping at my favourite Sallies and am continuing to prepare for the changing home state in a few weeks. The ad on Easyroommate is still not finalised but I hope when it is, it will work fast. A is rarely at home and I am more than happy about that as she has left a very bad taste in my mouth which I prefer to forget. There are more important things to think about than her insecurities.

After the HU song tonight I may even catch a movie at the Cuba Lighthouse, it seems like aeons since I was there. The only one on at the right time is a comedy with Robert Downey Jr called 'Chef', it may be a fizzer but it has a good cast. Woody Allen's 'Gigolo' movie does not appeal to me at all, in spite of its rave reviews. I have had enough of his comedy for a while, and he's always the same.

Am having a hot chocolate at the Film Archives where I am coming tomorrow for a final look at an AIDS movie about a famous Kiwi's demise with the lurghy. There is an enormous crowd of young people lining up for some movie and I should probably go to it, but it's the wrong time. There is certainly a strong film culture here with the younger generation, fuelled of course by the enormous success of the Hobbit series, and the local heroes Peter Jackson and Russell Crowe.
But I am off to Cuba Lighthouse for  'Chef'.

It was a small cameo by R.D. Jr, but the movie was a treatise on 'twitter'...amusing and the time went quite fast so it was worth it. John Favreau directed and starred, what a big talent there.


The Film Archives on Friday night.
..keen young women film makers?

The queue to Film Archives showing...

No comments:

Post a Comment