Monday 5 May 2014

Te Reo Maori


Back to the tumultuous weather and the travails of learning this mysterious but wonderful language Maori. I will persist, and it means of course, I will have to study a little everyday if I ever want to master   this tongue. And I will. Like the weather, you can't beat it, just join it and make the most of it. The class went well although we did have an unexpected assessment at which I had to seriously cheat, but no matter, I'll learn it all eventually when I start to swot a little more.

It is a bit like the NZ politics at present. There is a big chatter through Twitter about a Minister accepting a dinner in China without declaring it. Such a storm in a tea cup, but it could mean the Minister's resignation if the PM is strong enough. The opposition is desperate to get a killing here.

I am now in serious preparation for my Candlelight Memorial speech, which has become marginally bigger, and more challenging.

Just heard good news from dear old Tassie. A good friend has reclaimed his youth and is sporting a new body and a big smile on his face. Congrats to him, no doubt when the new thrill settles down he will resume his first great love where his biggest talent lies, his wonderful art work. I promise to come to Hobart, or Launceston, for the opening of his SteamTrain Exhibition!

The northerly is up...
..the white caps are there...
...and the joggers are still jogging.

Late afternoon hot chocolate at Caffe Scopa on Cuba, always a favourite. Cool music playing and very attentive service, hoping I am here for a meal but I explain it is not for that. No problems, they are just as welcoming. This is quintessential young Wellington. Another example...walking along the street a few minutes ago I hear a call and a young man with a slight American accent but distinctive Wellington fashion had picked up my tartan scarf which had fallen on the footpath. He had run quite a wee way to get me and smiled and said 'You dropped your scarf' ...such kindness is never forgotten, I will now try to pass that on to another person tonight at my Ti Whanawhana class which  am really looking  forward to.

Today was quietly spent at home getting my emails done and also a small package to send to Vancouver, some Tibetan Pink Salt which I know Margaret would appreciate on her new 'free range eggs' she is now buying, but... the nice woman in the PO says 'no salt to go to Canada', it's on the screen so I can't argue and she won't let it go as Bath Salts. I consider my options for a while and then decide to unpack the salt and just send the photos with an apology. They will understand, after all it is their country which forbidding its entry. It's a pity though as she won't find Tibetan salt in White Rock I'm afraid.

Later strolling up Cuba I see a parked van selling hot coffee, tea, and real Chai. I stop by and ask the young man the recipe for his Chai. He tells me and it sounds very authentic so I promise to be back soon to buy a cup. I haven't had real Chai for many years and do like it very much.

My hot chocolate soon arrives at my table and it is melted real dark chocolate. I have to spoon it out with the teaspoon as it is too thick to drink. She said it was special, and it is, Italian style 'cioccolatta calda'. Again an authentic touch in Cuba Street.
Caffe Scopa after work...
Commuters walking home to their inner-city flats.

No comments:

Post a Comment