Friday 24 April 2015

Dawn Anzac Service


ANZAC Day 2015
My alarm went off as scheduled at 5 am and I struggled out of bed having taken 2 mgs of diazepam the night before to ensure some sleep. I notice my housemate Fir has already silently disappeared to her workplace, it being a heavy day at the Karaka restaurant today.

Throwing on my heavy khaki American army topcoat, I manage the short trip with all green lights, to find a parking space not too far from the Memorial Pukeahu Park. I see that the nearby roads are absolutely packed with parked cars and fear the worst. The Dawn Service is going to be more than packed. I park at St Mark's Church parking, my car is OK there I am sure, and quickly join the lengthening throngs of silent walkers going up the Basin Reserve towards the new Memorial Park. 

It is already five-thirty so the service will have commenced. I was still not quite prepared for the numbers that met me as I reached the park. There was no way I could get anywhere near the Memorial, and even with five large televised screens to show the ceremony, I could not manage a standing space nearby to even witness the solemn unfolding of this historic event. The Governor General, Maori Sir Jerry Mateparae had just begun to give his address as I found a place near the wall where I could sit down if necessary. There were thousands of Kiwis in attendance, all ages, families and their dogs. It was a mammoth task to keep this enormous crowd safe and organised. The Wellingtonians were showing their solidarity.

The ceremony continued with the Govenor General from New Zealand being followed by the Aussie GG Sir Peter Cosgrove, who immediately after this event was on a plane to return to OZ for the same service in Canberra. A busy man on this centenary of the Anzac landing at Gallipoli.

The PM John Key gave a somewhat uninspired speech, possibly still suffering from his ignoble recent sexual harassment of the young waitress. The 'Last Post' sounded loud and strong into the stillness of the still-dark early morn over Wellington as the ceremony neared its close. It had been emotional and impressive, inspite of the difficulty of vision and the crush of the crowds. One person received paramedic treatment nearby  as the crowds proved to be too much.

Finally the moving and beautiful 'Abide with me' was beautifully rendered by the massed choirs and then the two National anthems were sung. I raised my voice for the Aussie 'Advance Australia Fair', and heard a few other Aussie voices not far away intoning the not too exciting words. The Kiwi anthem, on the other hand, was more than impressive, with the Maori words rolling off the tongue of the man in front of me, and then the English version of same. 

This brought to an end my first and only Dawn Centenary Service in New Zealand. I was very happy to have experienced this output of remembrance and solemnity that the Kiwis produced so movingly on this very important day. Feeling a bit faint, I waited for the huge crowds to disperse a little, before making my way to Cuba Street to the CQ Hotel which had advertised brekkie after the show. A queue a mile long told me it was not the place to be, so I waited in the downstairs foyer watching a rerun of Chunuk Bair as this awful heroic disaster was retold on the tellie.

Afterwards I repaired to the CQ cafe for a coffee and desultory bagel, joined by a few Italians who were animatedly chattering to the waitress in Italian. So what's new in multicultural Wellington, on this cool but fine morning, celebrating one hundred years of giving, in total, over sixteen thousand Kiwi lives to support a decaying Empire which used this manpower mercilessly for its own imperialistic ends. 
What a tragedy was Gallipoli, and never to be forgotten.
May they Rest in Peace. Lest we forget.

Am now off to Westpac Stadium to see my Aussie Rules team St. Kilda play the Blues, Carlton. Should be a great game, even without my favourite skipper Nick Riewoldt who couldn't make it for the game today, and it's sunny blue skies, thank you Wellington, and 'Go the Saints'!

PM John Key showing his normal style and dignity....
(Photo on wall of CQ Hotel cafe)
 

The Dawn Service program...

The Maori words of the National Anthem

A long wait for brekkie at the CQ Hotel on Cuba St.

Great crowds at Dawn Service

No comments:

Post a Comment