Tuesday 21 April 2015

More Anzac

The city is hotting up for a mammoth fews days of sad remembrances. A concert tonight at Michael Fowler Centre with a symphony called 'Spirit of Anzac', composed by local boy Michael Walker, will hopefully have a good attendance. I hope to attend another music piece, a documentary movie at the Film Archives about the composition by Edward Elgar of a symphony commemorating the death of a young New Zealand soldier, who actually was the son of his beloved partner at the time. It should be interesting.

Symphony composed for Anzacswritten by Kiwi Tom Cardy and conducted by Aussie Ben Northey

What did we learn from Gallipoli?

This will be after I see a much touted UK contribution entitled 'Testament of Youth'. It looks like a real tear jerker as it is the autobiography of Vera Brittain, a young English rose in love with a soldier at war with Germany in WW1. It is to be shown as a preview at the Cuba Lighthouse so it is big movie day for me, finished off with Scottish Country Dancing, as always.

Twenty thousand are expected in Wellington over Anzac Day so I am wondering if an exit is the wiser option? Tom who just joined me for coffee at the Memphis, is going to Norsewood for the whole weekend, doing a small Dawn Service up there. Sounds like a much  better idea than battling with the thousands at Pukeahu Park!  I'll see what I can do to manage the crowds.

More news of OZ, bad news as always. The weather is monstrous in NSW, storms and high temperatures (what have I asked for?) and the oldies rebelling about low pensions and high cost of retirement. Well, what's new? You just have to learn to manage on a small income as I will be doing. I never have problems with that as I learned good lessons in frugality from my dear Mum who was master of saving a penny. But I am, I must say, also a good spender. Lol!

Weather in OZ..more disasters.

Aussies take off their blouses in protest!

Young love - victims in an awful war. It was indeed a tear jerker, but evoked with pain, the reality of a war-torn Britain and Europe. A sad, sad, testament
to the bravery of youth and the cruelty of warring nations. The assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand of Prussia had set in motion events, which in the hands of powerful men resulted in the destruction, not just of cities and towns, but of families and loved ones all over Europe, America and the antipodes. 

Another sad exit from a movie which was true, and well made.

No comments:

Post a Comment