Thursday 2 April 2015

Good Friday

The cafe Baobab in Newtown found me this fine Friday morn having a date scone and coffee. 

Earlier today a phone call to a very good friend  living at beautiful Soldiers' Point, north of Newcastle in NSW, saddened me a little as she is getting more and more depressed since the recent death of her daughter. Life seems tough for her and she is succumbing to that awful pit of despair, forgetting why she is here, which is, of course, to give and receive love, which she has always done, but on her terms. If only she could think more about loving and less of her bad neighbours who are unfortunately invading her space and who, she says, are poisoning her trees. Something is drastically wrong somewhere and I didn't really know what to say, so I just listened. I will doubtless see more of her on my return to Oz.

I feel I really should be at the Memphis, but Tom has invited me over so am calling in here for a quick coffee before I visit him and Brent later. Later this afternoon I have a Mass at the Sacred Heart Cathedral on Hill Street where a friend is singing in the choir, and after that the more important HU song at Viva and David's at six-thirty. I see in my diary I have also a movie at the Paramount Cinema so for me it is quite a busy Good Friday, but the city itself is not so busy. As always, the wise and wealthy take a break from their work-filled lives to escape to a more simple rural life for a few days. Perhaps I should have been with them....on va voir!

Sole bird outside Baobab

...and not many inside either..

Am now on my way to see T and B who are doing some gardening, they said.
Well on my arrival it wasn't the gardening they were doing but still, we have a nice coffee and chat, with B bringing out some interesting historical photos he recently found and has now put into an album. Makes me think I need to do the same with some of my many shots sitting around gathering dust - must buy a new album.

The service, not a Mass, at the Sacred Heart Catholic Cathedral, was essentially a good one, and was packed to the rafters. It was held in conjunct with the non-functioning church of Mary of the Angels, so attracted two lots of parishioners. The choir was superb, and if not for the too-long 'Adoration of the Cross', which was represented by two railway sleepers bolted together, I may have stayed for the last and probably best piece of Sacred Music. But I reneged and left early, knowing I had more to do today. However it was nice to see so many people out, really acknowledging the reason for their 'holy'day.

Home for a rest before the HU and a perhaps late movie at the Paramount and possibly a car-wash for dear Bella. 

Back from a superb movie by another Pasoloni, this time a British one.  Called 'Still Life', it had a good review so I thought it would be enjoyable, although it was a bit like the Mike Leigh movies, depicting with desolate realism the life in London suburbs. 

The delightfully observed characterisation of the impeccable main actor, in the frame for 99% of the time, was essentially the guts of the movie. His story, and life as an English public servant, was one of simplicity and integrity, and ended with such an unexpected finish I can't tell you what it is. No spoiler from me, but just go and see it, you won't regret it. With a director carrying the name 'Pasolini' there is much to live up to, but he proves worthy of it and is surely to be watched for further films.  Beautifully filmed and sensitively directed, it has to win some award, but perhaps not yet an Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment