Saturday 25 April 2015

Te Aro Valley Chai

It is Sunday, my recovery day, and I have done the market shopping and am now sampling a taste of what I consider quintessential old Wellington, Te Aro Vally. It is just on the outskirts of the north inner city, but still only a short walk to anywhere. Things have stayed the same here for the last century it seems, and the desire to keep this heritage intact is alive and well. I decide to have a chai tea, opposite the main cafe where I have been before. The Haya Cafe Deli is vey family run, with bread baked on the premises it seems, so I have bought a loaf to take home.

The Haya Cafe Deli at Te Aro


Fresh baked bread and Kiwi Chai

Not wasting a minute...

They do destroy some things however...

There is no doubt of the authenticity of this city. It has its own style and always has proudly not only kept this style, but where necessary, has embraced the future with both hands. Certainly in the IT industry it is on the cutting edge, and it was this that initially attracted me so much to this quaint accessible city. It is old, but new. It embraces change, but appreciates what it has had. In the area of food and drink I believe it is unsurpassed anywhere in the world, and this is in part, because of the fierce food and agriculture control the islands have always had. Let's hope they keep it like that as the rest of the world seems to be going in the opposite direction. 

This morning I had a welcome response from old friend M. in Oxford and they want me to come to see them in August. I can now tailor my movements around this one fixed spot. Next thing is to lock in A. at Richmond, and after that it is all up to planning the Birmingham end. Three nights at a BnB and three nights at the Brittannia Hotel I think is the way to go. Hopefully I will get someone from the Seminar to share my twin room at the Brittannia. It is slowly coming together but I still have this end to finalise, the house and car in particular. But I'll leave that till a little later.


No comments:

Post a Comment