Monday 13 April 2015

Winter weather at Memphis

Well the snow is falling in the South Island and I caught the bus into town this morning with my neighbour Matt, the bassist with NZSO, who was on his way for a week in Dunedin to play with the their Symphony Orchestra. Matt does a lot of extra gigs to finance his ongoing love, and costs, of renovating his lovely house below ours on Evans Bay Parade. He knows it might be below five degrees but it may go even lower, so he will be warming his hands up.

Outside my bedroom, grey skies

Snow!

Harry to taste Stewart Island

Smokers in the cold at Memphis

Hillary is really the news with her launch to become America's first woman president. They could do a lot worse, especially if the Bush dynasty in the form of Jeb, were her opponent. I would be more than happy to see her win.

This blast of winter today quickly reminds me of how I know Wellington, in winter, and I must say I still have a love for this city in winter, 'cos you do rug up for it, like all the others, and it's not so bitterly cold that you freeze. Wellington's big negative is the icy winds which can blow but, hey, them's the breaks! 

This city still functions far above its fighting weight, offering the residents and visitors so much that their time here could not be busier, whether you like the arts, books, sport, adventure, food and wine, or just the stimulating company of creative people, Wellington has it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment