Friday 17 February 2017

After the storm


After a violent electrical storm last nigh and an hour's wait for a train home I finally made it.
The Rainbow Flag was undraped inside the Town Hall, Clover made a gracious speech and many others were asked to speak too. It was quite a feeling of euphoria in this large high-ceilinged room on the first floor of our venerable Town Hall where Clover was fitted out in a mauve suit just for the occasion. 

It's amazing just how well she's travelled through the years but there is no doubt her gay following has had a positve effect on her personal presentation. She has so done much good and the occasion was celebrated to the full, with delicious canapés served along with glasses of champers. There were a few of my new-found friends there, including an old one whom I expected to see. But it was a night where I may have said my farewell to the gay scene as I am not such a political animal. Tomorrow at the Gay Fair it will be my final appearance I feel, the Mardi Gras thing is now just too big and commercial, and anyway, I have done it a long time ago and things change, and I've changed too.
The country regions of OZ have evolved throughout the years as this photo attests to....
Trumpisms have become a daily event now  also adding a new word to our lexicon for 'inanities'.
Anniversary of the group's arrival which was virtually launched in Australia to a mad music, toe-tapping public of all ages.
This mad man Neil Gaiman, a genius it is obvious, is now a million dollar sales figure with his various   adventures in literature and other media. Will I read him? Probably not.
Caroline Baum, an excellent writer whom I have often read, has now penned an autobiography and it is quite a juicy one, talking of her dominating Austrian Jewish father and obsessive and beautiful French mother who brought her up to have quite an enviable, in some ways, life.
This privileged upbringing does bring with it some baggage, which it seems, Caroline has been a long time in letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment