Thursday 3 July 2014

Better weather...

The last few days have been fast and furious, in Wellington terms at least.

Weather changing every few hours, well that's normal, but my life, and housemate prospects, still in the waiting room although I have made some game-change plans. The meeting with Maori H was one I won't forget easily, she is someone who really says what she thinks, and this is quite rare in my experience, and refreshing. The anglophiles amongst us mostly suffer from the 'is it right and proper' syndrome which takes away some of the authenticity of living I feel. My two Dutch visitors didn't suffer from that, Holland is famous for being direct. They had a lovely couple of days discovering the delights of Wellington for a young person, and left early this morning tired but happy after declaring they will be back, they love Wellington and NZ. Now on to OZ for a road trip they will never forget. Another couple of intrepid travellers, like my French two, and they will possibly run into each other some day, or not!

Last night was an experience I won't forget for a while, nor my stomach it seems. My new choir WOSOSI had their final rehearsal for the term at a member's home, also celebrating his 60th birthday, belatedly. I am sure he had had a few earlier parties, for theirs was a true 'party home', and he and his wife true party animals, or so I discovered last night.

Their apartment was a complete floor of a once office block near Cuba St, so you can imagine I was already somewhat jealous. It turned out to be a loft style 7th floor, as big as half a footy ground it seemed, with panoramic views over downtown Wellington and the hills in the distance. With style and art thrown it, this was the top Wellington apartment experience, and they were very hospitable hosts indeed. They are a couple of the swinging set in the city I am sure, both artists in their own right, and now having created a special haven they are showing people how to really live in a city with New York style.

I took a small plate of hors d'oeuvres to the potluck dinner, but others really catered at their best so the food offered was high in quality and quantity. Suffice to say I ate too much and found it hard to sleep when I returned home, prematurely it turned out, to say good bye to my guests who were already in bed. I regret somewhat leaving early as it was shaping up to be a nice and intimate social evening after dinner and the rehearsal, but I left, feeling BnB responsibility. Perhaps I'll get another invitation one day. I took some snaps and fell in love  with their very old pussy cat called Chocolate who climbed onto my  shoulders and didn't want to get down. A lovely evening indeed at my very first Wellington loft-party. 

My two young guest from the Netherlands

Smiles on the balcony..

No comments:

Post a Comment