Wednesday 27 January 2016

Whanganui

Sunday January 24 Whanganui

Up at six-thirty for a bus to the station, there to connect to my booking for Whanganui at 7.45. I realise late with a public holiday tomorrow I could have parked overnight near the station in the university grounds, but no worries, I always enjoy my bus rides. Today it is near full of young things in their late teens carrying enormous back-packs with all sort of things hanging from them. They look very Scandinavian, and their language is possibly Swedish. They are super-slim, long legged and a bit nervous as they have to catch the ferry to the South Island at eight o'clock, but they will, it's Wellington after all.

The trip is interspersed with a lively chat with the bus driver, behind whom I have cadged the best seat. He is rotund and humorous and was born in Levin he confides. I wonder if he knows my friend Ron who would be the same age, but not married with young kids as this friendly giant is. I refrain from asking him.

There are a few stops before we alight at Bulls, where I am to change coaches for Whanganui, this bus  going on to Auckland arriving about seven pm. I eat my salmon sandwich at the bus station as we have a twenty minute wait. A rather grubby man wants to have a conversation and I realise later he is  possibly destitute, and although he didn't ask for money I feel I should have given him my loose change. Oh well, next time I will be more aware I hope.

I arrive early at the bus terminal and have a few hours before I meet Graeme at the Ridgeway Street meeting room, so I avoid the crowded nearby cafe and descend immediatley to the wonderful river where is a lot of action, trains-rides, market, music and even a vintage  Rolls Royce show!

As always I find an excellent café with a view of the river and sit to rest with a drink. A local womanjoins  me as it is very busy and we chat about Whanganui. She has retired her from Lower Hutt home andit seems to be a good thing to do, cheaper real estate and everything. She tells me there is a house for sale on the opposite bank for a reasonable price she assures me. Pity I haven't enough money, but c'est la vie, I am a rollong stone.

More people sit with me and we talk of life after death, quite fitting as we are to do a workshop on this subject. I decide to order a Smashed Avocado on toast, which is delicious, just enough to tide me over. The day is beautiful on Whanganui River.
On the banks of the beautiful Whanganui River

In a nice caféwhere I indulge in a very creamy iced coffee, hopefully with no bad results.

There is a kiwi movie at the SunDance Festival which will be a must-see. More below...

Model recovery....

Helping the underprivileged boys

Snow disaster in US

Charlotte in troublereceiving awards in Europe with 'racist statement'

Off the Grid, the way to go for many...

Cuzco for Machu Picchu

Richard Dawkins coming to Wellie on March 4

This the movie to see called 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' directed by Taika Waititi.

No comments:

Post a Comment