Thursday 9 October 2014

The Beach Babylon Cafe

It's a long time since I was ever here but I felt it a good day today to have another taste of the seventies in Wellington. For this is the epitome of all that is kitch in the that swinging era and it hasn't been forgotten but brought to life with a vengeance, at this rather chic retro-cafe on Oriental Bay, a place where the billionaires live, and others too, of course. After all this is the land of equality.  

Am sitting here patiently waiting. The waitess knows I am here as she has brought me a desultory flagon of tap water. I had brought my own glass. But this girl has  totally forgotten me. Such is the price of grey hair and old age, never so keenly felt as here in this hip young cafe, ironically eulogising and commemorating a bygone era, my era, to be exact. I call the waitress over and a coffee and cake soon arrive, the coffee smelling quite strong, something I may learn to regret tonight as it is nearly two o'clock already. Now back to finish my engrossing Korda book. It is quite  a saga this story of the three Korda brothers conquering the film industry in Great Britain, I can't put it down.
I
Young hipsters at this popular bayside caff.
Serving seventies smoothies and milkshakes
With a fabulous view....
The bleached, beached owner of 70's Beach Babylon Cafe
This cafe is called the Beach Babylon, and situated above it, is aptly named The White House. This is a famous haute cuisine restaurant, tres cher, which has recently been demobilised and relocated somewhere else. But the building, it appears, has quite a history, even in the short term. It is the closest cafe to Roseneath, and my home, that exists, so really, it is my local caff!

No comments:

Post a Comment