Wednesday 1 October 2014

Gandhi's Birthday

October Second, Gandhi, and also my God daughter's birthday.
So we celebrated it around the Gandhi Statue outside the Railway Station In windy Wellington which did not disappoint. It was cold and very windy, tonight there are gale force winds forecast. A crowd of agout fifty people surrounded the marvellous bronze statue of the Mathama, bent towards the wind holding his staff and dressed in the flimsiest of sarongs. For him the weather meant nothing. Many speeches were made and the several floral wreaths hung around his shoulders, honouring the immense work and contribution this one man made to the cause of peace, non violence and of course, to the freedom of India from colonial rule. 

My flatmate Vaibhav Vishen, aka Sonny, was not able to come so I represented him there. It was a good and uplifting event although the wind was very chilly. Most people, all Indians, stayed  around for lots of Indian food and coffee, but I repaired to the station cafe inside to have a rather hotter coffee. But I was glad I made the effort to attend. I even annointed my forehead with the traditional 'third eye'!

Always disaster makes the front page...

Praying to the Mahatma....
The Indian High Commissioner speaking...
Lots of Indian food...
Under the beautiful tree....

No comments:

Post a Comment