Saturday 7 November 2015

Sunday at WOSOSI

Well I have put one ad in Trademe but not so happy with the photos. Another ad to go in Easyroomate.com tonight. I have do a  super-sell to get two people in before I leave for Oz on December 1.

Had to refuse invite to Ron's for lunch as am off to Porirua for a Wososi concert. Ron is cooking 'toppers' and I have no idea what they are. As Tom is going I will find out later what they are.
In the meantime I am having a coffee at Chaffers on the Dock and looking at the Auckland Sunday rag. It is interesting to get another slant on Kiwi news as these two cities are vastly different as you will see from one of the articles below.
Charlie and Camilla spruiking kiwi fodder

Chaffers coffees...

Kiwis love to find a negative for OZ.

Amazing camp couple of chefs rememberedon new TV show

The differences between Wellie and Auckland...writ large.

At Pataka Museum Art Caféfor the Wososi concert.

Coming out to the city of Porirua is a salutary experience of of real Kiwi culture, that is, pakeha and Maori mixed as this art museum embraces the ethnicity of the Maori one hundred percent. Kaizen Café,  which just served me a perfect flat white, which I may live to regret as it was so strong, is run totally by Maori and serves great food as well. I arrive accidentally two hours before the show, but several Wososi are here already to sup the migrating kitchen experience which today is from Syria, giving taste trips for everyone. I lazily renege on this as I don't want to be entertained for an hour with Syrian food which will probably be too spicy for me or not, who knows? 

Again, what a great initiative to create pride in their country for the Syrians, and give everyone a rare opportunity to experience their cuisine, after all, what is cooking, but a reflection of the the culture of the land from which it comes.

The cultural exhibits at Pataka Museum...

Attracting all ages....

Local paper showng how awful the bureaucracy is in the department of immigration. This man has been here twelve years and still is waiting for a work visa. This is hard to believe, but that's how public servants are trained, no care for the individual, but do it by numbers. Not a great vote for being in their system which I am not. Luckily Australia's system works well and on return I will have no problems relocating.

Wososi are singing for a whole hour today, they are such an inspired and inspiring choir and sing their hearts out in about twelve languages, all for the love of the voice.

At the Syrian taste trip I see it is about a refugee family who are trying to create a Syrian restaurant. Recently they were on page one of the Dom Post and today I see them here and take one of their recipes, albeit Persian rice with brown lentils. Looks delicious and I must never generalise about a country's cuisine. There is always something which I will like about it, especially if it is vegetarian, like this one with rasins and dates thrown into the mix, jigged up with saffron and cinnamon.

Here they are educating the interested....this embracing of diversity through the medium of food is such an excellent way to educate the masses, and is something which is alive and very well in New Zealand, or should I say Porirua!

Blue Wososiin great action at Pataka Museum Porirua.

No comments:

Post a Comment