Sunday 21 September 2014

Election Blues at the Laundry

With an hour before my Sunday night dance class I decide to go into Cuba Street and see what the young people are doing. The radio says the loss of Labour last night to an overwhelming National victory is a sad day for NZ so I'll see if it has affected anyone. I seriously doubt it has as the Kiwis are indomitable.

There is a band happening here tonight and the temperature outside is like winter. We have had a small reversal of Springtime to Wintertime and I am well rugged up. The fire in the cafe says it all.  It is warm and inviting and I have a fishburger which is quite filling, if a bit bland. But it's protein for my night of exercise.The day at home was profitable anyway as I finally got some data into my cell phone, that is, all my contacts are there now and I am able to travel more easily. There are still some overseas contacts I need to transfer but they can come later. It is so good to have one spot now where I can retrieve all information and that is the beauty of the i-phone, or any Smart phone I suppose.
The log fire roaring at The Laundry on Cuba...
...along with funky music
...waiting for the live show with a piano accordionist coming later. I would be happy to stay to listen as I love the piano accordion.

Some retro music is blasting from the back..'Gloria...a..a...a', brings back memories. I am just an ageing old rocker I suppose... 

Last night I saw another excellent Kiwi movie at Cuba Lighthouse. Called The Pa Boys, about three Maori boys forming a rock/reggae band and touring the North island. But it was really about the Maori connection with nature and the land. It was wonderfully acted, directed and filmed. It showed me the strength of the Maori culture and how different from the pakeha it is. I was fascinated but felt further away from them, really, as it is not at all my culture although I admire much of it, certainly its tribal spiritual aspects. It is a must-see movie for anyone interested in Maori culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment