Monday 1 September 2014

Ticket to Sydney from Gotham City

It is the second day of Spring, but there is still a nip in the air as I take the bus into town to collect my altered P-jacket and decide to have another coffee at Gotham, in Chew's Lane. It is one example of quintessential Wellington, this lane, and as I sit and photograph the passers by I see just why Wellington is as it is, a vibrant creative energy centre of this part of the world, and indeed of THE world. 

So much creativity stems from these windy islands that it is hard to quantify, but in today's Dominion Post, apart from the double murder by a deranged pensioner in a welfare office, there is a telling article by the Vice Chancellor of Massey University. He envisages Wellington in the near future - a new airport for Dreamliners to land at, driverless taxis taking one from the airport to the city in ten minutes; State of the Art technology everywhere and young people making waves in the world in every medium. Well it's nearly like that now, but there are still the everyday side-lines, arson, drug overdose by accident, death from a rail-crossing, ordeal in broken down bus, and more methamphetamines being imported. Well drugs are everywhere, it's just that here we don't need them, we are stimulated on every point. Then why am I about to consider leaving this fabulous city?  

It is hard to admit, but really, it's just that I am too old for it. And it is too young for me. It is a city for the young, created by the young, and next year I turn seventy, and I just gotta realise it. It's time for me to go home. So today I booked (a return) flight to Sydney in June next year to celebrate my my seventieth, over seven days of meetings and dinners and the announcing of my decision to come back, probably in August /September 2105, to live. Where, I am not too sure, but the Central Coast and Newcastle are the two obvious choices. I am making the decision now as I plan to make the next twelve months as fulfilling and as exciting as possible. 

Soon I will make a bucket-list of things to do in the next year which I must achieve before quitting these lovely islands. But I will be back, for sure, for holidays, because Wellington already has a secure place in my heart. It was just at the wrong time of my life for more than a two-year stay.  A bit like Paris really, where I had two fabulous years from 1969 to 1971 and I will never forget them. I will never foget these years either, here in windy Wellington.

Last night at Freyberg Pool where I was swimming with my DSW mates, there was a scene of young Wellington testosterone at play. There were about ten young men, late teens or early twenties, obviously bonding after a workout, who were unselfconsciously playing in the pool. Their beauty and simplicity was something to behold, and their skills no doubt matched their looks. What a nursery of amazing talent this country has and this is but a small example.

Now having unwisely had a second coffee at Gotham I am on my way to have another very fulfilling day. Such is this buzzy cool capital called Wellington. It really is a mini-Manhattan - a city constantly on the move!
At Gotham for good coffee...
Murders in mayhem..

No comments:

Post a Comment