Monday 28 April 2014

Sydney Stopover

Well Sydney certainly knows how to turn on a beautiful April Autumn day. It is a cool twenty four degrees celsius, and for Sydney that is cool. I have made a smooth transition after a great overnight flight from Vancouver - losing a day in transit of course. It is now Tuesday and Monday has disappeared!
My window seat proved a good idea as my neighbours stayed put nearly the whole flight and I didn't need to move either. Touchdown early at 7.45 am, but twenty five minutes before disembarkation with all the hoo-hah of disinfecting the aircraft. I think Australia must be the only country in the world to put this upon their visitors, and a perfunctory spray onto the upper luggage racks serves what purpose I don't really know. Anyway with my electronic passport I whizz through customs and am at the bus stop at eight forty five, only twently minutes to pass through with no sent baggage....but the 400 bus doesn't come. A nice employee who has battled the traffic for an hour to cross the airport tells the waiting crowd that an accident has held up traffic for at least an hour so I decide to take the train to Central, sure and fast route, and then take a bus to Malabar. 

So I am sitting at a fast food cafe in Chalmers St just outside Sydney Central Station with a wonderful cool breeze and no humidity - Sydney is glistening. Come to Sydney in April or May I say, as this is the best climate Sydney can offer. The coffee I have, after much discussion with the boy who is replacing the barista while the latter goes to buy milk, is satisfying, but only after much negotiation to get the right strength. Always ask for a 'double-shot small flat white' and I won't be disappointed...I hope.
Suffice to say, Wellington is still the best place in the world for a good coffee without any need for negotiation at all!


Outside Central Station in sunny Sydney

Unshaven and in need of a good coffee after fifteen hours flying...

Driving to Vancouver Airport last night

No comments:

Post a Comment