Saturday 5 April 2014

Whoah! The 'Grand' Budapest Hotel

Well this star-studded movie just didn't do it for me, in spite of the complimentary champagne and box of lovely sweet-meats, ie choux-cremes placed on each first nighter's seat at the redoubtable Cuba Lighthouse Cinema. 
I think they knew this much touted film needed a boost and when I was met at the cinema door by a bell-boy named David dressed nearly authentically with kepi and astrakan redouble jacket, I was happy to go with the flow. On entering the cinema I noticed I was the only older person there, they were all in their twenties or thirties. Perhaps lured by the free champagne, or by the stars in the movie, I think they were as unmoved as I was during the strange evocation, or should I say bastardisation, of the great Stefan Zweig's stories of a fabled vintage European Hotel of some Slavic origin.

One reason it didn't work was the impossible-to-dislike Ralph Fiennes who I fear, was horribly miscast as the 'gay concierge', the major character who actually ran the hotel whilst bedding some of the guests, at least metaphorically it seems. Although I'm sure he did all he was told to do by the director, Fiennes did not inhabit the character to the extent that it needed, even if it was a spoof. Most of the other 'star-turns' were just that, brief appearances hardly noticed, actors just waiting for their cheques to arrive in the mail, or the Direct  Deposit as it likely is these days. The modernisation of the dialogue, which was essentially a story told by F. Murray Abrahams as the young bell-hop Zero, arguably the best character in the whole story played by newcomer Tony Revelori, didn't cut it for me, as it was liberally laced with f*** s and the audience tittered as young people always do when their favourite word is on screen. I was also sad to see one cameo played by an unrecognisable Tilda Swinton, who no doubt had it drawn into her contract that she be totally forgotten once the film came out.

I feel one problem may have been that this absolutely European movie was made by an American with American sensibilities, or the lack of, and it needed the subtleties of an English or European director to pull it off. It was a B grade movie upon which many good actors wasted their talents, such as Bill Murray and Harvey Keitel. Willem Dafoe, who had a little but important role as the always ugly gangster, seemed to enjoy himself but I feel he may have been the only one. Or perhaps Ralph Fiennes did also, trying in vain to camp up a role which was written to be played by a totally at-home camp habitue like Robin Williams. For me it was worth a paltry three stars, and that is generous.  Now back to the French Festival for their last movie tomorrow which sounds like a safe winner with the legendary Fanny Ardant starring.

All the stars at the Grand Budapest....or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment