Monday 17 November 2014

Cafe Jimmy


Well it's downright ironic that today, sunny and beautiful, in the great Jimmy cafe at St James theatre, my favourite theatre cafe, I am so happy about my decision to quit these Windy Isles. And my coffee today is absolutely purrfect! Last night I had nearly decided to change my mind completely. It seemed ridiculous. I am here, paying practically no rent in a beautiful bayside home with views to die for from my bedroom, I have  a super-snooty BMW convertible, and  so much going on in my life that is positive, upbeat, and rewarding, and I decide to leave. Am I crazy or what?

But there is something under the surface, as in Tassie, that is not my cup of tea so to speak. There is a toll to be paid for all this perfection, this island beauty, there is a sort of madness that you can't totally avoid. Those that do stay here travel incessantly to escape this eventuality.  And the others leave for good. I am being a bit weak perhaps in not persevering, but the challenges in Oz are just as big, if not bigger. And the climate and heat in Oz is one big negative about which I have no control. Last night I dreamt I was in Gosford, with my BMW, getting lost driving home, but having been told the directions I knew I would eventually make it. It would be a little troublesome, but hey, what's easy is not always the best. It's time, as Gough Whitlam said, for a change.

And I just read in the Dom Post that this cafe is about to close, an icon in Wellington, not making enough cash, must close and become a fast-food outlet. Am I vindicated? I have see the best of Wellington, the worst is yet to come. I saw the table of suits sitting here yesterday, eight men bold and brave, plotting the downfall of another historic and much loved venue. Quelle tragedie!
Perfect coffee..

Things are a bit 'sicko'..

In this wonderful town...

Where its famous cafe is demobilised

No comments:

Post a Comment