Monday 10 November 2014

The Eleventh hour of the Eleventh day of the Eleventh month

Yes it is windy Wellington again so I batten the hatches and take a bus to the National Library in town. Always something on there and today is the WW 1 memorial which is very interesting indeed. And I am there exactlly at eleven o'clock, some interesting synchronicity there.

The exhibition is sad and true, with stories of conscientious objectors quite at the fore, as well as the sacrifice of the soldiers and their heartrending naive letters to their families back home, letters which took months to arrive. Sometimes I think NZ post hasn't got much better.

After the exhibition I have a coffee and scone at Home, my second favourite cafe, and always with something to read. Today, apart from the  Dom Post, there is a recent New York Book Review.

Interesting in the Post to read of the appointment of a new Kiwi boss of Te Papa after the last Brit has been posted off with many losses to his name. The new one looks like he has been employed for the bottom line, not for any cultural knowledge. The editorial says it all, he is a cultural philistine.
This is the weird part of wonderful NZ, they make such mistakes sometimes and don't learn from them. Doubtless their biggest success story is in sports, and Richie McCaw is the God of Rugby...see the cartoon..

I keep questioning why I am leaving, but I do know deep in my heart it is time to go so I just have to make every day a special one and the time will fast disappear. Today I am buying swimmers to have DSW printed on the rear, hommage to my new swim team for whom I am competing in January. It will be a farewell comp for me, possiblly two swims will be enough, I am not that young anymore I keep reminding myself.



A WW 1 soldier

A doubtful choice at Te Papa

King McCaw always there...

A welcome read every so often..

Lots of kids using this great library, also sleeping there!

No comments:

Post a Comment