Monday 3 November 2014

The Memphis Belle on Courtenay



It's Melbourne Cup day in Wellington! And time for me to make a bet on the TAB. I check out the papers and decide on three horses, each way bets just to be sure.  Have decided on a favourite Signoff, not so favourite My Ambivalent, and finally, locally owned Who Shot Thebarman, just for the name.
 Probably I will not win anything but it is my only bet of the year.... This cafe above, called the Memphis Belle, which I have long looked at but but never frequented, is very, very hip, not so chic but typical of the Wellington scene, not unlike The Laundry, but because of its position right on Courtenay Place, it has a large passing trade. 

The coffee was OK, served with a Cruffin, a hybrid  Muffin Croissant, and now I am staying a little longer to try their lemon and honey drink, served in a jug with a small glass, a touch which I like. All the cafe fittings are pretty rough, picked up from the street some of them it seems. The clientele is musical, bearded, and young. The outdoor area traverses the island in the middle of Courtenay Place, with a line of public loos right opposite, so it is not the most salubrious of addresses, but very convenient. 
I'm sure it does good business, and way until the wee hours of the morning no doubt. The background music is super cool and the street view from my tired chair is colourful in the extreme. The sun is shining as I hope it is also in Melbourne for their big Cup Day celebrations. I do miss OZ when it comes to the Melbourne Cup, this and Aussie Rules footy are two reasons for returning, small ones, but still there!

Final postscript: a German bred horse called Protectionist won the Melbourne Cup by four lengths, followed by an English mare who has now come second three times, Red Cadeaux, followed by my third choice Who Shot the Barman, bred in New Zealand, so it was a good result all around the world, but especially for Germany which now has another $2.6 million dollars to boast of, the handsome prize winning money.


Am in this funky caffe on the 'strip'...
Keen barista.....
Who will win this year?
Is it Lucia Valentina, a locally owned horse?
But no Kiwi bred horses this year!!

Cafe full of hipsters....

And a large variety of clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment