Friday 14 November 2014

Saturday Footy

It looks silly but it is a weekend of Rugby and Rugby League. Tonight are the finals of the four nations League, with Oz vs Kiwis which I hope to witness, and OS in Edinburgh, Moorefield, a big Rugby game of All Blacks vs Scotland. The Kiwis will be having orgasms of some sort tonight, and also tomorrow morning when the Scots game is telecast at 6.30 am.

I have gone to the Cafe Bordeaux at Newtown to get out of the cold and windy house but the weather has finally brightened up and the sun is shining.  I have a good coffee with a croissant with egg and bacon, also very nice, and sit to read the local weekend newpaper.

The news is all doom and gloom but also some good stories of Kiwis' overseas, which is where they all seem to have incredible successs. In fields of writing, and cooking, films and acting, Kiwis are to the fore. But the headlines of the Dom Post give dire warnings about the health system here, crippled by bureaucracy where good doctors just leave because they are stifled. Very sad that, and I can understand completely given some experience with the public service. But in the arts and cuisine it's a different story, they are at the top of the pile, if only because of the great education system and fabulous fresh food available which is mostly naturally produced. 

There is so much to learn from living in NZ. How to survive in their very weird weather is just one of them, and how to be patient and cope with bureaucracy is another. But stories like Madeleine Sami  below, a super talented actress, is inspiring and refreshing. Also another, not pictured, of Peta Mathias, a redhead who does Agony Aunt columns for the weekend magazine; she is always witty, entertaining and to the point. She is giving a one woman comedy show touring NZ next year so I hope to get a ticket as I certainly am a fan. A dedicated foodie and traveller, she takes tours on cooking trips to India, and no doubt has a huge following.  I wonder if my living with Sonny will result in my getting over my phobia of India and visiting there one day? It could be life changing, again. But just how many changes do I have to go through? Lol.

Anyway I am off now to market and perhaps have another coffee with  Tom if he is available. Already the sun is shining and people are smiling in the streets, it never takes long for that in Windy Wellington. But of course it could rain again this afternoon with gale force winds also predicted. You just never can tell.
Disaster in health...

But fun in Newtown..

Fear all around...

But footy to the fore...

A great talented actress..

No coffee with Tom but a short visit instead to new friend J who seeks my advice about a publishing problem she has, or rather with personal relations where artistic temperaments are involved. I tell her to follow her heart and I'm sure she will get rhe right result. She is very sick btw, having put herself under too much pressure and also flying to Auckland to review rhe Sydney Dance Company, which was less than enthralling she dared say.
Now I am resting before the final Ceilidh of the year and then the footy bonanza at Westpac Stadium. I hope I can get a good seat!

I did...and we lost, the Kiwis were jubilant and I was happy for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment