Thursday 15 October 2015

Sunny Welcome Wellie!

My coach ride back throught the luscious Kiwi countryside was an absolute delight. The sheep grazing and lambs gambolling on the fertile green hills was typical of this rural paradise that is New Zealand. The quality of life here is unsurpassed in any part of the world I am tempted  to say, although I have witnessed a great deal of mainly indigenous obesity during my twelve hour bus ride today. It is indeed an ongoing and serious problem with the Maori youth, often girls, who seem to be addicted to cigarettes and junk food and enjoy it with their many girlfriends. But where will it lead? To the hospital operating table as shown in this awful photo on page one of the Dom Post today.  There does have to be a seismic shift, changing the mindset of the young to follow a healthier lifestyle, although it may well be a lost cause already.

Am back at Memphis, home sweet home! Back at my favoutite caff I try their new ham and cheese roll, toasted, and it is a nice small meal to be my second breakfast. Now home to bake an orange cake for Sunday at Waikanae and also to prepare for the Rugby game of the World Cup, France vs All Blacks at Cardiff at 8 am on Sunday morning at Ron's. It is shaping up to be a hectic weekend as I have my 'New Dancers' Scottish Country gig tomorrow night as well. 

Last night a phone call from Pam in Auckland was a fervent invitation to join her and Ellie and Daniel at Rotororua for the upcoming holiday weekend on October 26. They are driving up in Daniel's new big Range Rover for this long weekend. I felt like saying no, but really I feel I should go. Ellen's such a sweetie and Pam seems to want to have a holiday with me as well, so we may as well have a bath in the hot springs!  Who knows, but it is a long drive up there again so soon,  but I'll think about it.

On bus to city at Freyberg Pool

Obesity epidemic in NZ

Texans in town, from Ockland!

Karl du Fresnewith a good beef about boring Aussies, he's pretty right about that, a loutish Aussie is hard to top.

On this beautiful Wellington Spring day I have to go home soon to pen a very important letter to the Auckland BP mob, citing my absolute dissatisfaction with what has gone on and insisting on two resignations. It has to be my best letter, ever!

Da mob in da Memphis!

Typical Kiwi at the top of his game at 24 yo!World Organist Champion!

Needed a film hitso caught Viggo Mortensen, always excellent, in an interesting adaptation of an Albert Camus short story from 'Exile and the Kingdom, one of my favourite books as a young man. Filmed in Algeria in the Atlas mountains, it was eerily reminiscent of my car trip into the Middle Atlas in Morocco in 1971 although it was set much earlier in 1957. It was just what I needed to forget what I had planned to do, write my letter, which can always wait !

No comments:

Post a Comment