Tuesday 24 March 2015

Gemma Bovery

Well you'll  know I'm back in my home town when you see me at the cinema, and this time it's back to the French Film Festival at the Embassy Cinema, this great art deco building on Cambridge Terrace at the bottom of the drink strip of Courtenay place.

 I actually came in a few hours early so I could see some World Cup semi final cricket, but the weather in Auckland has prevented that with a stoppage due to rain. The home team is not, by the way, in a very good position, with only three wickets taken from the powerful South African team in this one day event. They will all be resting nervously until the weather clears and it not until tomorrow that the game finishes. Some people may be sorely disappointed.

So I am in the foyer of this grand cinema, biting into an excellent Florentine, accompanied by a hot cup of lemon, ginger and honey, another ubiquitous offering perhaps unique to Kiwi shores, I'm not sure. But it is refreshing and of course, very healthy. The chocolate hit of the Florentine just gives it the touch of decadence I need to prepare myself for tonight's interesting offering, a modern Anglo-French version of Gustave Flaubert's classic novel Madame Bovary. I have read the reviews and it should be certainly worth the effort of leaving my cosy home. An English actress plays the eponymous character, and it purports to be a comedy, so that is certainly not in the vein of the original. However my judgement waits.

High ceilings...

....bedecked with my beret.

Glamorous actress...

...in a comic interpretation of a French tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment