Wednesday 18 March 2015

Last coffee before Auckland

It's a grey, cool day in Wellie and I am sending a birthday card to Benjamin ten days before, hoping it may arrive in time, but I doubt it. The mail here is abysmally slow and shameful for a capital city, but they have let the services go because of the fast downturn in letter writing ot course. Emails win!

Anyway I have sent my first card to B and I am sure he will appreciate it. Last night we had a long talk, or more like it, he had a long talk on Skype, telling me of his rather less than fantastic Sydney Mardi Gras experience. I wasn't too surprised as that day has had its time for people of our age. He had guests from Britain who weren't too enthralled by it either, but when you pay $100 for an obscure standing position without toilets, it seems to be a rip-off. He has learned a lesson there I think.

Just read the Dom Post, more drastic news of killings and X factor abuse on TV, also a memory of the 1986 Homosexual Law Reform which my friend Tom helped to instigate here in Wellington. It would have been a tough time in conservative Wellington as there is a strong Presbyterian strain here which did not allow differences, and certainly not gays.

Am now at the Memphis Belle, a bastion of freedom where all is cool in Wellie paradise. Now for the Auckland Jetstar seat booking and a very early start tomorrow. 

Koroi is still in the disaster area in Vanuatu and we don't know when he will return. So it is very quiet at 42 except for Sonny who is on the hunt for a mouse, using of all things, peanut butter as the lure. He has not much experience in mouse catching I'm afraid.
Am also off to pay another $80 fine for going over the 100 limit somewhere, they have had a real blitz on any speeding so I have to be so careful in my little Bella.
Memphis morning...

Wet and grey..

A tortured Kiwi killing an Aussie

Finally law reform in 1986

The Embassy upstairs foyerwhere I have just purchased two more French Film Fest tix for next week, although the large cinema is rarely full and one can always get a seat at the last minute.

Francophiles discussing their choicies.

No comments:

Post a Comment